Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just google HHO and you'll be swamped. You tube has some good videos also. I'm looking at a $599 kit from tnhybrids.com. I'm trying to find all the nay-sayers so I can get the other side of the story also. It looks very promising to me.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well please post back. I heard myth buster did a bit on it and said, BUSTED, but they're not always right. I've seen some reviews saying Carb style engines are better for it.... The idea is to use electrolysis to break apart water... and the H goes back to a gas, Hydrogen, and the engine sucks it up. so you're running a mix of Hydrogen, hydro carbon vapor and Oxygen. PS, it's also called "BROWNS GAS". and you'll find opinions on both sides of the aisle. I'm keeping an open but no market bs approach to it. If they have cars running on Full Hydrogen, obvioiusly the gas is potent enough to power a car so the idea is not far fetched.

I think one problem is the GOV could never actually tax the fuel..... WATER!!!!! LOL. This issue alone would open a can of worms. but the HONDA FX? runs on commercially avail compressed Hydrogen gas from a fill station. Like filling up your Gas grille tank to cook. So they can easily track/Tax that.

If I had the money & time I'd buy one of these kits and put it on a lawn mower first. see how that does.

Last edited:

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
hey i dont remember who mentioned it earlier about the hilux diesel trucks but i thnk they are nissan but anyways i just got back from a few weeks in roatan, honduras and they had these things everywhere down there and diesel cars and vans just about everything and it was backwards there gas was a dollar more than diesel gas was $5 and diesel was $4 but i have a budy that lookem these trucks up on his blackberry while we were there cuz he wants one bad and if you check out the specs on them they look like good trucks and yes they have a straight axle version and i have seen pics of one with 37" tires and all the goodies. we were actually gona try and see if we could drive some across from mexico somewhere but still tryin to find out if its possible i doubt it but hey its worth a shot. it would be sweet to mod these and see what kinda performance you could get anyways cool lookin truck that i think should be brought over here cuz id drive one when i wasnt pullin my trrailer-ck

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was me that brought hiluxes up. It's a toyota. but Nissan makes a version also. I think Hilux means truck in other languages.. not really sure. But I've had a early 90's yota and it was great.. Yotas are awsome off-road b/c of size and weight. and don't do that bad on MPG's when lifted up. One other difference is the Hiluxes come with a Full Floating rear toyota axle, which was made for all around the world except the US!!! We got a crappy Semi floater. the only FF Yota axles were under Motor homes/Uhauls. and not to mention they have solid front alxes on most/some. How can you beat that?? Solid front axle, full float rear axle, turbo diesel engine crew cab truck. But I still don't like newer Toyotas... they're gay.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Given that now diesel is still higher than gasoline, I crunched the numbers on a vehicle with comparable towing capacity vs. the diesels. Actually, given that even the diesels get better fuel economy *towing* and about the same empty (or slightly better) it really winds up as a wash given the price spread in gas vs. diesel prices.

So I've heard a few details that is making me NOT examine a diesel for my next heavy hauler. I wanted to see what the consensus is for you guys out there.

The Diesels don't get the "same empty" they get a little better but not enough to make up for the higher cost of the fuel. I figured it out the other day and with our F150 5.4L getting 14mpg I have to get 17mpg with my Diesel truck to beat the 5.4L mile per dollar rate which I can't quite do. I have not seen good mpg numbers on the new 6.4 either. This is not a wash especially if you figure in the higher maintenance cost of the Diesel along with much higher purchase price. For a daily driver non-towing vehicle a gas engine is a no brainier in my opinion.

Now on the other hand if you are going to tow or haul much at all then you probably should stick to Diesel. You say "next heavy hauler" and I say Diesel... The 5.4L sucks down serious amounts of gas when hooked to a load and will not get out of there own way. The V10 sucks down gas no matter what.

Gas - Daily driver used for transportation with a occasional load.

Diesel - Tow vehicle used mainly for towing and hauling with economical transportation as a second priority.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well put chief. I guess I screwed myself.... :doh: When I bought mine Diesel was considerably cheaper.

Yep,

Like the saying goes "that way then - cheaper fuel prices, this is now - getting royally screwed @ the diesel pump.

Mine will stay parked in the driveway - used only to haul the camper or tow the trailer.

The days of using the PSD as a daily driver are over.

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58