This could get ugly!!!

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today while trying to expand the tip's of my uppipes, The nut off of the end of the expantion tool came off and where would you think it went. Down my drivers side uppipe. I stuck one of those magnets down the tube but had no luck. Looking at the design of the manafold, it looks like it would be nearly impossible for the nut to get to the engine.

Could the nut reach the engine to cause a problem? Is it possible that the nut could be forced into the turbo?

The bolts and nuts where the uppipe connects to the manafold look like a pain to get to not to mention the fact that they are rusted real bad and I would probably have to use a torch.

If it can't go up or down, I think I'll let it become a permanent part of my exhaust system.

What do you guy's think.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your call, but I would Do whatEVER needs to be Done.. to git that nut.. outa there :eek::eek:

STRONG possiblity it could, prolly Would.. launch thru the Turbo.

Try spraying some PB Blaster (Wally World) penatrating oil on the manifold nuts/bolts. They may Look rusted, but they'll come offa there with some PB on'm.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Your call, but I would Do whatEVER needs to be Done.. to git that nut.. outa there :eek::eek:

STRONG possiblity it could, prolly Would.. launch thru the Turbo.

Try spraying some PB Blaster (Wally World) penatrating oil on the manifold nuts/bolts. They may Look rusted, but they'll come offa there with some PB on'm.

x2
Murphy's Law #2 States: If it sucks that it happened, it will happen to you.

Go in there with the idea you're going to replace the studs & etc. anyway. That way, you're not disappointed when something unexpected happens, like one breaks.
Spend about a day hosing them down with PB BLaster or MAG 1. They'll come apart.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+3...pull the manifold if you have
to...but get it outta there !

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might try a good magnet taped to a Fish tape or a wire ?? (like Coat Hanger wire) :dunno. Bend it some, in the shape of the >first< bend of pipe... Give it a try.

If that don't work... Back to the penatrating oil.

BUT It's GOTA come outa there.

dpantazis

Reaction score
try and get your hands on a semi-rigid borescope. they are not too expensive, i bought one at work for inspections for ~$300. .

http://www.testo.us/online/abaxx-?$part=PORTAL.USA.Applications&$event=show-from-content&externalid=opencms:/Products/MeasurementParameters/ambientairquality/Messgeraete/318VPRO_JUST_USA/USEnglisch.product

call an HVAC tech friend if you have one. they use them to inspect heat exchangers in furnaces and boilers. borrow it. you can stick a little magnet on the end and watch it and make your way to the nut. its you last chance type of fixit before you rip it apart.

dennis

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that if was someone elses truck, it would be no problem. My truck........a FREAKING GAURANTEE it would do damage. I will assume that you are in the same boat as me. Murphy will bite you in the ass. Get it out of there man.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that if was someone elses truck, it would be no problem. My truck........a FREAKING GAURANTEE it would do damage. I will assume that you are in the same boat as me. Murphy will bite you in the ass. Get it out of there man.

I see we have the same luck.:lmao

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I used the PB Blaster and the bolts came out and I retrieved the nut. Since I had the drivers side uppipe off, I decided to take the other one off and take them to a muffler shop to have the ends expanded so the fit the new gaskits tight.

Installed the new valve cover gaskit's and torqued the VC bolt's to 10lbs (I just knew this was going to fix my intermident miss). I also turned my wastegate rod in 5 turns and took the insolation off the drivers side intercooller tube, looks much better.

During the reinstall I was haveing a problem getting the y pipe connected to the turbo and dropped the threaded rod from the clamp. My 10 year old daughter and I spent 3 hours looking for it. I took the turbo and turbo pedistel back off so Kaylyn could crawl over the engine and look down on the transmission. No Luck. I leaned to the left a little bit to far and snap goes the dip stick handle..... Called it a night.... After help arrived this morning and I with renewed vigor found the it under the plastic cover on the passenger side of the transmission. We found it in about 10 min.

As I reinstalled the turbo again I left if loose and connected the y pipe to the turbo and clamped it down and then tightned the turbo down.

Test Drive: Prior to this repair, I was boosting 16psi at WOT, unloaded. Now, it is boosting 19psi (kind of dissapointed), I thought with all the soot and obvious leak's it would have been higher. Also, during the drive I blew the intercooler boot twice, never done that before. Changed clamp's and realined the intercoller tube, beat on it about 10 times. Good to go. Still got the miss. The engine is much quieter and I can actually hear my exhaust now. However, still got the miss, I think it only misses at low idle but it may be missing at higher rpm's I just can't feel it. When you hold the break and give it a little fuel, it really shake's. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I like to work on my truck but this is kinda over my head. Pulling the camper to the beach May 25 and I need her running at full song.

By the way, I was under the impression that the VCG's had all the little wires and plugs that go to the injector's. The one's that I installed was just the gaskit with the connection for the harness plug.

Looking forward to hearing some reply's, I finally got a post that people are interested in.

Jeff

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl