This could get ugly!!!

JRJ04

Reaction score
Jeff, when you put the intercooler boot back on, did you clean it up really well with some degreaser (both the boot and the pipe)?

Guys, I gotta be honest...taking my I/C boot off to do the foil delete makes me REALLY nervous becuase I'm afraid I'll never get the sucker back on there right?

Is this an inaccurate fear?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff, when you put the intercooler boot back on, did you clean it up really well with some degreaser (both the boot and the pipe)?

Guys, I gotta be honest...taking my I/C boot off to do the foil delete makes me REALLY nervous becuase I'm afraid I'll never get the sucker back on there right?

Is this an inaccurate fear?

It's not as bad a job as many may think.:dunno

Make a mark (dot?) on the Y pipe & boot I/C tube & boot.. I/C inlet & boot.

Take'm off, clean'm up.

When you put'm back on ? Line up the marks for an initial set up.. Tighten the TUBE clamps Only, then adjust the whole assembly so it's not hitting/rubbing on anything. Brace it in-place.. and Let the whole assembly "REST" for a few minutes. (so the boots can self-adjust slightly, if any, on the Y pipe and I/C inlet) Tighten the last 2 clamps.

Done Deal.

After 4-5 warm-ups/cool downs you <may> have to Tweak them a bit... Use ONLY the Y pipe & I/C inlet clamps to do that.

Hints: I use Simple Green for boot clean-up, and Windex for re-assembly lube. A Heat gun and Goof-Off for Foil/gum removal. But to each his/her own on that. I re-install the I/C inlet boot clamps... up-side down... so I can get to them from underneath(?). (Batt tray & Snorkel in the way issues)

JRJ04

Reaction score
can you remove the driver's side IC tube without removing the intake, battery tray etc? It looks like it might be able to be done, but it definately a tight fit.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you remove the driver's side IC tube without removing the intake, battery tray etc? It looks like it might be able to be done, but it definately a tight fit.

You can but it's a BIG PIA. Lots of exstentions, universals and so on. Thats why, after the 6.0 I/C install, I put the inlet boot clamps back on, up-side down from the stock set-up. It's not that hard to remove the Air Box and Batt tray.. Kinda comes out as an unit. Few nuts'n Bolts.

I like to check the clamps now & then. I also scribed a 2" line where the boots sit on the tubes.... so I can see any movement .. while I'm Eyeball'n things. (like before & during an RV trip ?)

avaya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
an idea

just an idea but can you pick up a reducer for the shopvac and use a piece of clear plastic tubing to push in and succk it up or pull it out. youd no it was out when you heard the clunk in the shopvac and saw it in there. i use shopvacs to suck string through hundreds of feet of conduit at work.

avaya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry noticed agter you had got it out:sorry

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankx for the talk Big Joe. Today, I went to NAPA, Advanced Auto and Auto Zone in search of a fuel pressure set up. No luck, the guy at NAPA said he could order one but it would be around $150.00. Got to be a better way.

Also, I called a few places about the wickid wheel and HX mod. $77.00/$47.00

One of the guy's I talked to today, said I may have a bad harness to the injectors so I went to Ford, shelled out $113.00 and then installed them. Still got the miss. I think it smoothed out the engine overall, but the miss is still as bad as ever.

I let a mechanic look at it today, and he said it felt like something is out of ballance.

Oh well, if I keep chipping away at the problem, I am bound to find the culprit one day. (If I can afford it).

Jeff

p.s. Joe, you said the HX mod line goes where the plug's are on the top of the heads. Unless I am mistaken, mine has two plugs on each side.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu

The 2 plugs yer looking for are the 2 that are across from each other.. left to right, just about in line with the Y pipe. Equalizing the oil pressure.... just might have something to do with the "Outa Balance" yer Mech felt was going on.

:dunno

Many of the SDD Site sponsors have Fuel pressure gauge kits

Last edited:

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered my HX mod line yesterday, should be here Monday.

Have an appointment Monday to get the fuel pressure checked. Question to that effect. Autozone has a fuel pressure guage. I did not purchase it because of the line question. Does the line have to be steel? Can it be a rubber hose with the correct fittings, clamps and tef. tape?

Jeff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl