Tire recall..........

NavyAg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Superduty members. I am presently stationed in Afghanistan and just happened to check out your forum (now a member of) since I miss my 2005 4x4 F250 King Ranch PS and was surprised by this info. Any word on if this is a wider scale problem. I hated the Continentals that came with my truck when I purchased them based on all the reviews that I had read. I actually was trying to get the dealer to swap the tires out but he wanted me to pay the difference. Now maybe he will do it as part of this recall. Any info is appreciated.
NavyAg

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Howdy NavyAg and welcome to SDD!!

As far as I know only Continentals are being recalled and only those with the 3 DOT codes and certain date codes. As your away, and thanks for your service, you may want someone back home to check your tires as there is a time limit on this recall.

The tires are being replaced with Continentals -mad and I have not been able to find another tire mfg who has a 18" load rated E tire in any tread configuration.

John

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello NavyAg and welcome to SDD. Thanks for your service to our Country:thanks .
Hope you like it here, you are among friends. Be safe and come on home soon.
Doug E-Navy:sweet

NavyAg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks JHarvey for the response. I will contact my wife to see if she can check it out. I purchased my KR a month before finding out I was to be deployed so was only able to enjoy it for a short time. Unfortunately my wife may not want to give it back to me since she enjoys it so much.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
No problem, if the wife has any concerns or questions tell her to get on line here and we'll be glad to help out. May take a little time but we'll get an answer.

Stay safe over there and thanks again

bonehead_98

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Continental Tires

Yep! Ford did us a good thing this time. I have the Continentals on my truck, they do not fall in the recall. They do need to be replaced, wore out, 39000 miles. Not the kind of tire one would want to put on a 4x4. The only problem is, as most of you know, Continental is the only manufacturer that supplies the 275/70R-18 size (came on truck). I have searched the Internet high and low and have only found a handful of tires that even come close, most are shorter than the original and some are taller. The taller tires (according to manufactures suggestions) require a wider wheel than those that came on truck. I really don't want to put a lift on my truck and had rather not go smaller than original. The majority of my driving is highway, but on occasion I do go off road and these Continentals will get you in trouble quick. I'm looking for an all-terrain tire, Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Welcome Bonehead, if you find a tire please post it. I have e-mailed and called BFG, Goodyear, And Toyo and have yet to get a response. I really don't want to be stuck with these Contitrac's if I can help it.

John

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
The saga continues................

Finally found a dealer with tires in stock, get there at 8:30 am and am told about 1.5-2 hrs, to me that's a little long but ok.

11:30 New tires installed and all of a sudden the service guy says to me "we have a problem" Continental will not allow the dealerships to replace the recall tires with tires the dealer has in stock, the replacement tires must be special ordered from Continental and take 3-5 days to get -mad -mad -mad

So the poor guy who has already installed the new tires now must take them off and re-mount the old tires so he's :cussing:

I call Continental and ask them to explain this crappola to me and somewhere in the sort of kinda this is the way it is explaination I lose my cool:cussing: :cussing:

After regaining my composure I politely ask for Continental's address so I can send them MY bill for lost time and wages because the procedure was not explained to the Ford Dealers or the vehicle owners.

I have spent all told approx 8 hrs trying to get these tires replaced and now have to wait even longer and spend even more time next week :cussing: :cussing:

So if Continential is reading this, these will be the last set of tires I ever buy or allow on any vehicle I own even if it means replacing the rims..

Rant over
\

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
If the dealers you were involved in would read the complete recall it's in there about calling Continental/General if the tires on your truck need replacing. Not all trucks and tires are involved and it goes by DOT codes so replacement tires are recorded to your VIN number and old tires must be returned for DOT code inspection.
I would be charging the Ford dealer for your time.
FMT

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
FMT, now that I have calmed down, had a couple of chili cheese dogs and a BIG OLE sweet tea, I have read the recall letter again and the last paragraph on page 1 says that the Continental Dealers (not just Ford) have been given the procedures for replacing the tires under the recall. Nowhere on the letter I have or the OASIS info that I saw and the service advisor sees, does it state that the vehicle owner would have to wait for 3-5 business days for these tires to be "special ordered" from Continental after having them inspected by the tire dealer.

All three dealers I talked with regarding this issue were ready to replace the tires out of their stock, if they had them. It wasn't until the "parts" guy started to bill out the tires from inventory that they discovered this wrinkle.

Now I know that this is not a Ford recall but why is it that the dealers can't replace the tires out of their inventory and in turn have those replaced by Continental, this would facilitate the owner getting new tires if needed and back on the road with little or no down time?? Or here's a thought, have the inventory in place before the recall went out and then everybody's happy.

I am not mad at Ford at the dealership level, all 3 tried their damndest to get me rolling in hurry but between Continental and Ford Corporate the word has not filtered down so the customer is told up front how this must be handled.

I have learned over in over 20 years of selling that you can get away with anything as long as you don't surprise the customer, tell them up front what the procedure is and you'll have no worries.

Oh yeah I made sure the tech who pulled the tires twice was paid for the job, not his fault this happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg