Trac Bar for Early 99' F250 Superduty

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished my 3" front level lift this weekend on my F250 PSD (looks great!) and I'm trying to find an adjustable trac bar that works with the early 99'. Seems like all I can find are for the 99.5 and newer trucks. Has anyone installed an adjustable trac bar on an early 99 or know of a PN and/or mfr that makes one? This is my first attempt at a suspension mod so I'm kinda of learning as I go. Also, to straighten the steering wheel after the lift, do I just adjust the steering linkage (drag link?)? Thanks.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wont find one for the early 99, you can make a late 99 adjustable one fit. but it takes some drilluing of the lower axle mount and replaceing the top stock track bar mount to a later style or drilling it as well. you can pick up a late track bar bracket for 10-15 bucks on ebay.

personally it is nice if you can add teh adjustable track bar but it insnt needed.

a short cut is to cut the stock track bar and sleeve it with some 1.00 I.D. tubing. and weld it. when i do it i also cross drill the tube and plug weld the tube so it doesn't rattle and run the tube the entire length of the trackbar.. looks like it came from the factory then..

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midwest, thanks for the input. I've spent several hours searching the internet this week and asking all the suspension suppliers if they had something. Still coming up empty just like you're saying. I'm finding my early 99' is "special". :rolleyes:

I really like your idea of extending the existing bar. I'm going to do it this weekend so I can get the truck back on the road. Thanks! :notworthy

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I never seen that earlier post TBAR i may have been able to save you some grief

The suspensions were changed on 3-30-99 so yes for suspensions the 99.5 starts 4-1-99

and for the rotors the cut off was 3-20-99

the engine stuff i forget the date.

It is no easy feat to drill out the lower mount but it can be done. I did it on my 99

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished!

Midwest - I started with your idea of cutting the stock track bar but after studying it for awhile decided to use another of the stock tie rod adjusting sleeves (pitman arm to tie rods). I cut the stock bar near the top where it was easy to access, ground down the cut ends slightly so they would fit inside the adjusting sleeve ($20 at NAPA) and tightened them down at the exact length I needed. This way I still have an adjustable bar and it seems to tighten up fine where it isn't going to move. I then adjusted the other regular pitman adjusting sleeve to straighten my steering wheel back to normal. It all seems to work fine now, no bump steer and the front end feels solid. I'll see if I can post a picture or two. Thanks again for the ideas!;tu

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that will work fine for you.

I suppose you could have did the same with the track bar in the tubing but cut the tubing in half and weld in a chunk of threaded rod into each halve and used a adjusting sleeve.

I was always going to just bringa track bar in to work and cut it in half and turn the end dowen and thread it and use a sleeve. like fabtech does.. ..

Job well done

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58