Trailer tire problems

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 5 carlisle 205/75/15D and I keep blowing them out on evey camping tirp. I have been reading up on them and they seam to be having some big problems with them blowing out at speed.
I'm going to get them off my trailer but I need to find something better. I have already had about 800 bucks in damage to my camper with the carlisle tires. Need input guys.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What is the load rating on the Carlisles? Sounds like they can't take the load you are putting on them. Go up a load rating; ie from a "C" to a "D".

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .03 ?

Get 4 16" wheels and put at least.. 235/85/R16 Load Range E tires.. on whatever you pull.

I put 4 Goodyear 235/85/R16, E rated, All Steel radials on a 30' 5r we had.. and never looked back. (after going thru, what yer going through... but with the Goodyear Marathon TT tire Flail-Ex)(2 tires came apart in 20 miles, same side:rant)

A One Time Buy.. but Well Worth the Bucks.. for the Safety of Me & Mine and You & Yours. Not to mention your Peace of Mind.

* JMO but.. I think the NTSB & RVIA should look into.. The CRAPY, light duty tires the RV, Boat and Trailer industry is allowed to put on the road.

To much Wieght.. Not enough Tire.

On Edit: Forgot the Spare.. did that too. Took the best tire when I bought new tires for the truck.. mounted that, for a 16" 5r spare.

Joe

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I agree with Joe on upping to a 16". Easier to find tires cause they would fit other vehicles too. And I would get a spare tire/wheel assembly too just to be safe. And Im with Dave on goin up on load range.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
In addition to what Joe said, I went with 225/75 R16 to get a lower profile, with a Bridgestone R250 They are a steel cased tire. I put them on the service trailer and never looked back. Not cheap but worth every penny :sweet

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carlisle tires don't have a real good name in the RV trailer world for lasting very long.
Can you get a wight on each tire, to see what kind of a load each tire is carrying.
You may need to move some things around inside your RV.
Not knowing much about your fifthwheel you should be fine with what the others have
all ready said, and you should be able to find hubs for a 16 in wheel that will fit your axes.
I sure wish I could run 10 ply E's on my trailer, it would be so much cheaper.
I have to run 14 ply G's on my HitchHiker and after blowing out a few Goodyear's, I went
to a Hankook 14 ply G's and so far they are doing real good.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5ther is 3674 pounds and we put another 6oo pounds of stuff. So 4274 total weight. I talked to my tire guy and he said I should go to a 225/75/15 D. That should fix the problem. Key word being should. I have D's on there now and there a 8 ply. What gets me is the trailer came with C's and the owner said he never had any problems. I just went to D's because they were on sale and was the same price as the C's. I'm going to think on this info. Thanks Guys.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From some fairly in-depth reading and talking at length with my tire guy, what Really gets to our 2-3 axel trailer tires is.. the Scrubbing that occurs when we need to do Tight Turns (like backing into camping spots, turning around in tight spaces) on paved, or uneven surfaces.

And it's not so much the Rating.. as it is the Tire Construction. Not Enough Ply's, and/or, the type of material the ply's are made of... AND.. Tire Pressures.

When Scrubbing occurs, the Ply's can flex and weaken, separation can occur, the Tread part can begin to loosen from the Carcase/ply's.. the tire comes apart.. At Speed. This is where the Tire Pressure comes into play, too.

Soooo, IMO, from what I've learned.. The OE tires we get on some trailers are might not be adequate for the weight, For all the above reasons. Brand Legacy plays in too.... and adequately rated/constructed tires are not readily available.. for the 15" wheels we get.

Not to mention the "New Tire" age.. at time of purchase. (tire Born On date).

JLDickmon is our resident Tire Guy.. maybe he'll jump in ????

Joe

I made 16" wheels "Part Of the Deal", when I bought our Montana. Came with (CRAP) 235/85 E rated Generals on it. I've since changed them out to the same Goodyear's I have on my 350. Run 70psi.. in'm.

WOW..:eek::eek: 3900 Posts. Hope some of'm have been useful :lmao:lmao

Last edited:

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carlisle tires don't have a real good name in the RV trailer world for lasting very long.
Doug

I second that they are junk the tires that came on my trailer as well as my dad's raptor toy hauler all had tread separate at 65mph. The best part was my dad got the first one replaced direct from carlisle and preceded to drive from WA to OK and lost that same tire again as well as 4 of the last 5 all same failure tread separation like a retread would do. All of the tires had less than 2k on them.:eek: That being said he put a nice but spendy set of tires on that have been going strong ever since. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head but they were definitely not Carlisle's.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
first thing you do, get it scaled.

THEN we figure out how much tire you're going to need.

I had a guy come through one year. bitching up a storm about his Marathons.. I asked him, how heavy is the unit?
"Title weight is..."
I cut him off and told him to run down the highway to the next exit and get it CAT scaled.
Long story made short, as he was hauling, he was 2,600lbs OVER what the tires were rated at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14