Trailer tire problems

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
JLD. Have you heard of travel trailer tires? First I have heard of. :dunno

Carlisle has blown me off so. I'm after there head now.

Travel trailer tires have slightly different construction than other trailer units..
I never was schooled on the differences, but I can pick the TTC (travel trailer construction) tire out if you stand the two side by side.
They have a flatter crown and a little bit different profile..

But I couldn't tell you without looking at a sidewall if either one, none, or both has an overbelt, etc..

The only way the layman can tell is the "TTC" branded into the sidewall.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the tire shops around here and they all have that deer in the headlight look when you ask about TTC tires. Even camping world was stumped. Not that I would buy anything like that from them...:innocent

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the tire shops around here and they all have that deer in the headlight look when you ask about TTC tires.

You bring up a good point here.

When we buy tires for our Trailers, any Trailer.. the tires we select ARE every bit as important.. as the tires we put on our family cars and trucks. we all know that.

When you know the ACCUALL Gross Weight of the trailer.. Rim size, where you go and what you do, with the trailer, and the like, and tell that to the Salesman.. if he or she gets the Deer in the Headlight Look.. Find another Dealer, or Sales person.

"I think these'l work for ya".. don't git it.

'ol Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point here.

When we buy tires for our Trailers, any Trailer.. the tires we select ARE every bit as important.. as the tires we put on our family cars and trucks. we all know that.

When you know the ACCUALL Gross Weight of the trailer.. Rim size, where you go and what you do, with the trailer, and the like, and tell that to the Salesman.. if he or she gets the Deer in the Headlight Look.. Find another Dealer, or Sales person.

"I think these'l work for ya".. don't git it.

'ol Joe

The "I think" is the killer...
This just shows the lack of teaching in the tire companies now days. It's the learn it over time program. There should be something like a state certifide tire sells person. :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "I think" is the killer...
This just shows the lack of teaching in the tire companies now days. It's the learn it over time program. There should be something like a state certifide tire sells person. :dunno

I Absolutly Agree.

And I'd like to see a Reg that sez something like: If a towable trailer has a GVWR of (say) over 6000 pounds, it Will be equiped with 16" wheels, minimum, at the time of sale.

16+ inch wheels Immediately gets you into a Whole New, bigger/better/wider selection in.. the number of Ply's, Weight Ratings and material used in tire construction.

IMO.. we'd ALL be a lot Safer with a Reg requiring that.

Posts/Threads like this one would be Few & Far Between too.. I'd betcha.

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have not done anything with the tires on the camper from the start of this post. But I have the itch to go camping again so. It's tire time has anybody used Kenda tires?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought Hankook Trailer Tires the last time, and they are still holding up and looking good, they are made in South Korea. My trailer is so heavy I have to use the 14 Ply tires.
Check the Mfg Date on the side of the tires and don't buy any tires over 6 mo old, and make sure all 4 tires have dates close together.

The GoodYears kept blowing out. I hope these hold up for at least one more year.
Don't run your RV tires over 5 years regardless of what they look like.
Doug

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have kenda's on my road bike (pedal powered) They're ok but are wearing very fast.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Some say I'm crazy for not going to LT tires, but i have Goodyear Marathons on my fiver, and they haven't given me a single problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14