Triple Dog on new F450

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What big problems do the 6.4's have, had mine since May of 07, one of the first 08's on the lot and have not had one problem and have not heard of anything.

When I would take my 07 into the dealership for oil changes and rotations I would hear from the mechanics that they were constantly working on warranty issues on the 6.4.

Outside of the horendous milage some of the new trucks were getting, they would tell me stories about flames coming out of the tail pipes, shorts in the cruise control that would cause fires.

There was a few other things they told me but as I recall they were some of the same issues you always have when releasing a new truck.

It is my understanding though that most of them have been fixed...

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck update

Thought you heard of something like trannys falling off or something like that. What I have read is that motors, trannys, etc. are holding up better than previous years and better the other guys.The fire out the exhaust was short lived, wish I could have seen mine do it. Still no problems with mine. Yes my buddy has a 02 with 7.3 and all he did was a simple superchip and banks exhaust and he can pull and run circles around my truck, plus a few more mpg's.Thats what i was looking for when i bought mine, didn't look into the changes and find out its a little more to get my truck up to my buddys, some day i will do it, bought to many extended warrienties to mess with it for now.But what I have seen and read the trucks are holding up just fine, and still like mine better than my buddies. Right now I can hit the roads and get 17mpg on the highway, towing the boat around 13.5. in town driving around 12.9, all hand calaulated.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's better to leave it stock until the warranty's gone. You sure don't want to screw up the extra money you spent on the warranty just because you want to get a few more mpg's. When I had my 02 7.3, my best mileage came while keeping the engine just under 2000 RPM's. That number seems to work pretty good on the 150 also.

R66SS427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just got a new 450 4x4 crew and it has 4.88 gears. I really need some sort of fuel mileage help. 58 miles home from the dealer. Avg mpg- 12.2. The 06 6.0 w/36" tires and 3.73's that I traded got 17.5 on the way down. :doh:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have to wait a few ten thousand miles more for any better mileage. Your engine is too new and they take a while to break in. Be patient!

Dave

R66SS427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention, I kept the triple dog from my 6.0. Will this work on my 6.4 or do I need a different one? :dunno

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
triple dog

The triple dog won't work on the 6.4 and for milage, brand new with the gears you have your already doing good...........

Fine69

Reaction score
Get a few thousand miles on it then see how it does. You honestly don't expect an F450 with that low gearing to get good mileage do you?

R66SS427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Get a few thousand miles on it then see how it does. You honestly don't expect an F450 with that low gearing to get good mileage do you?

No, I don't expect much mileage at all. But if a chip or programmer will inprove it at all, I'd be ok with that. We tow a trailer to alot of car shows in the summer, that was the reason for the dually and I'm sure this thing will tow a small house. But if a programmer helps a truck with 3.73s, why won't it help mine? :sweet

Fine69

Reaction score
It will definitely help. I've heard from a few different guys that the Spartan tuner on higher HP settings, have shown gains of 4-5 MPG. Of course that IS with a DPF/DOC delete too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr