Truck died while driving and wont start!! Help please!!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So, since i have a wait to start light, my fuel bowl heater can be ruled out?

Wheres the best place to buy a cps sensor? Where is it located?

BTW, im still on some bfe road in wichita falls doing all this from my iphone. Gotta love technology! No wait, thats what got me in this mess!!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Couple other things as well. I know the previous owner has replaced the cps before. Is it normal to have multiple failures?

Also, where is my idm sensor? I probably need to check it too right?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
So, since i have a wait to start light, my fuel bowl heater can be ruled out?

Wheres the best place to buy a cps sensor? Where is it located?

BTW, im still on some bfe road in wichita falls doing all this from my iphone. Gotta love technology! No wait, thats what got me in this mess!!
correct.. at least a "wait" light is telling me that there is still power at least to the IDM..

CPS is just above and to the right of the crank shaft pulley..

on the older sensors, yes; It was common to have multiple failures..
IIRC, Ford is the cheapest source.. International dealer should be comparable..

the IDM doesn't have a "sensor" and it's waaaayyyyyy the F' up in the driver front fender... real jewel of a spot..
pull the fender liner, the bolts holding the bottom of the fender, and stick your arm up in there like you're giving a cow a rectal exam... if you feel moisture in the wiring loom, that's a bad sign..

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
clint-

can you see this from your phone? tsb on cps replacment in jpg format.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/cpsTSB.jpg

cpsTSB.jpg

if you are looking at the front of the engine, its to the LEFT of the lower pulley. its kind of in the V made by the left bottom of the water pump housing and the pulley. like 10 o'clock on the pulley.

(its on the right side of the engine in proper terms, but will be on your left when you are looking from the business end of the hood)

as far as where to get one- ford, international, truck parts. school bus parts. almost everyone should have something. steal one off a school bus with a DT444 motor!

in a pinch, you might be able to get by with one for the DT466. it ws the blue one that people reputed was 'better' but was inconclusive. but i think it would get you down the road if you had to.

good luck.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So could the first sensor that went out been replaced with an old sensor?

What is IIRC? Ford dealer im guessing?

dpantazis

Reaction score
do you have a second sensor? if it was one that was pulled, who knows. its a Hall effect sensor that works over an air gap.

IIRC is If I Recall Correctly,

DT466 sensors were like the 2nd most common warranty work performed. that is the inline 6 cylinder engine the next zide up from the DT444 which is our 7.3L powerstroke.

the blue sensor should work in our motors.

the best part is the right part. but if you are in BFE, then you might get lucky to get your hands on one for the other motor.

dennis

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
clint-

can you see this from your phone? tsb on cps replacment in jpg format.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/cpsTSB.jpg

cpsTSB.jpg

if you are looking at the front of the engine, its to the LEFT of the lower pulley. its kind of in the V made by the left bottom of the water pump housing and the pulley. like 10 o'clock on the pulley.

(its on the right side of the engine in proper terms, but will be on your left when you are looking from the business end of the hood)

as far as where to get one- ford, international, truck parts. school bus parts. almost everyone should have something. steal one off a school bus with a DT444 motor!

in a pinch, you might be able to get by with one for the DT466. it ws the blue one that people reputed was 'better' but was inconclusive. but i think it would get you down the road if you had to.

good luck.

Yeah i can see it. So it says if i have a Gray sensor and a silver bracket, no action is required. This confuses me. If i have this one, does that mean its not my cps?

dpantazis

Reaction score
info stolen from another site.

"The blue CPS for the DT466 has been updated too. The original update had them go from blue in color to a grey/black combo. The latest versions are now solid grey. But they still have a different part number compared to the grey CPS's for our trucks. I'm not sure what was changed in the update, if anything at all. So I'm not sure if it still affects timing or not. Here is a list I have for the original and updated CPS part numbers... both for Ford and IH:

94-96 original CPS: Ford Part # - 4C4Z-12K073-AB, corresponding IH Part # - 1821720C98
94-96 updated CPS: Ford Part # - F4TZ-12K093-C, corresponding IH Part # - 1821720C99

97-03 original CPS (black): Ford Part # - F7TZ-12K073-A, corresponding IH Part # - 1825899C93
97-03 updated CPS (grey): Ford Part # - F7TZ-12K073-B, corresponding IH Part # - 1876735C91

IH DT466 original CPS (blue): IH Part # - 1807339C92
IH DT466 updated CPS (grey)*: IH Part # - 1885812C91
*early versions of the updated one were grey and black, newer ones are all grey. These do not have Ford part numbers, since these are International engines only."

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
you guys say when your try to start it does the tachometer bounce a little? that is a good way to see if the cps has failed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14