Truck has NO POWER, can't spin wheels in wet grass...

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is really sick…. Has absolutely no power at all, it will go through the motions, but absolutely no power at all.
On a cold crank up it will idle ok, not good but ok. But when hot it will not idle, it will cut right off.
It will spool up the turbo and rev up to 3 grand, or to the rev. limiter.
But on the interstate, if I am just cruising at 60 I’ll hit a little hill and it will down shift and will start to slow down to about 57,
then I’ll top the hill and it’ll slowly climb back up to 60 and then maybe it’ll up shift to OD.
I have gutted the turbo, no more EBPV…
Replaced the IPR, but its doing about the same thing it was doing when it started this problem.
It seems that it’s a fueling issue, like she wants to go but just isn’t got what it takes.
Been through the entire fuel bowl, cleaned /replaced all the screens, replaced the filters.

I had the fuel pump checked, and was told that it had no leaks.
I checked the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve right at 60psi at Idle and the same at WOT, but going absolutely NO where..

Does not throw a CEL and doesn't have any codes set except the EBPV.

Disconnected the MAP sensor, didn't change a thing that I could tell.
Disconnected the ICP, here again, I couldn't tell if there was a change at all..

RoReRi :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Hey, JOAT, throw me some good luck with this thing!!

dansk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
check your engine oil level. Check all air connections after turbo. make sure none are leaking.
Dann

dansk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about your problem. One thing to check that would give you those symtoms is your map sensor line. If it is off or broken, it will give you the same symtoms. I would check that first. Good luck
Dann

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unplug the map sensor (electric plug) the computer will default to standard tables.

Check oil, the fuel pressure check @ WOT was that sitting still or while driving down the road. if it wasn't driving down the road then it did not determine anything. 3k in neutral takes next to no fuel 3k dragging 8000# requires far more fuel.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Dann has a good point. Do you have a boost gauge? Turbo issues would cause lack of power, or if the map sensor doesn't recognize the boost. Does it smoke under heavy throttle?

Disconnecting the MAP electrical and the ICP would have been my next suggestion, but you already tried that... Did you get a CEL with either disconnected?

Any unusual noises? Put a real oil pressure gauge on and see how it looks. Bad mains can cause low power but are hard to hear on a diesel (hope thats not it)

Hows the blow-by look?

When was last oil change?

Last edited:

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Do you have a boost gauge? Turbo issues would cause lack of power, or if the map sensor doesn't recognize the boost.
No boost gauge but while I have had this problem, I had the EBPV gutted and the up pipes checked, had a small leak
from passengers side exaust manafold to the up pipe,
but all looks good now. I do hear the turbo spooling up pretty good when I try to "pass" someone on the interstate.

JOAT said:
Does it smoke under heavy throttle?
No smoke at all, anytime, nada...

JOAT said:
Disconnecting the MAP electrical and the ICP would have been my next suggestion, but you already tried that... Did you get a CEL with either disconnected?
Yes I did get the related CEL and code thrown when I disconnected them.
Borrowed a Edge programer/code reader from a friend.

JOAT said:
Any unusual noises? Put a real oil pressure gauge on and see how it looks. Bad mains can cause low power but are hard to hear on a diesel (hope thats not it)
Me too! But no unusual noises. Think I'd just put the ole gal on ebay then...
Thats just too over my head and sounds like a new engine/rebuild.

JOAT said:
Hows the blow-by look?
Not hardly any at all... I change the oil every 3-4K

JOAT said:
When was last oil change?
About 500 miles ago...

When I checked the fuel pressure, I was at about 10mph going uphill when I went to WOT, pressure didn't waver at all.

Any body got any BIG firecrackers???

Thanks for all the help, I just called ITP Diesel and ordered their USB scan tools, so that may help alot, I HOPE!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going out to check the oil right now. But I would of thought that wouldn't be a problem, I just kinda threw it outa my mind as a non issue, seeing as I just changed it and it was OK then, but who knows what could of happened between then and now, nothing is below me now, so ask questions away!!!

Thanks again ya'll
RoReRi

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the oil, and it looks to be a little too full, like about a quart. Maybe a quart and a half.
Could too much oil cause this problem, I've got a fumoto oil valve so releasing a quart or so isn't much of a problem...

Oil is a dark golden brown, not black, and full of soot.

Thanks again...
RoReRi

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
RoReRi said:
Just checked the oil, and it looks to be a little too full, like about a quart. Maybe a quart and a half.
Could too much oil cause this problem, I've got a fumoto oil valve so releasing a quart or so isn't much of a problem...

Oil is a dark golden brown, not black, and full of soot.

Thanks again...
RoReRi

you answered my question
yes to much oil can cause some issues but its generally with overheating of bearings and such. and with the psd the foamy oil really screws up injector firing, air compresses and it causes late fires or not enough fuel injected, rough running idle etc, low power etc etc
is your oil airy looking.
pull the fill port off the hpop resivior and pull some oil out with a clear tube or straw and see if its foamy. just my two pennies:D

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 55 gallon barrel of Shell Rotell T 10w30 at SAMs about 6 months or so ago. I think I stole it for $220.00, but thats what I used. BUT, read further...

OH No... been thinking about the Oil level being too high...
Think I'll drain a quart a go drive up and down the road and see if it changes any.
I am not the type to put too much oil in, when I change it. I usually put a tad too little in and then top it off after a day or so.

Just had injector O rings installed about 8000 miles ago. Oh well maybe this is a good excuse to get new injectors...

Any suggestions on which ones I should get? Mind you I just put in a new/rebuilt Jasper transmission about 18000 miles ago at about 2800 smackers, so I don 't want to rip it out.

RoReRi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg