Truck VIOLENTY shakes after lift

BADASS03SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I have about 150 miles on my Icon 4.5" kit. truck drives good on the highway, fine around my house. I was told to see if there is a vibe as I have a CC and I may need the carrier shim kit. nothing I can really feel during normal driving before today. now there is a road a few towns over that has some "bumps" in the road. kind of like where the road was pushed together in one spot and made a hump across the roadway. well....I went over one today at about 50 mph and the truck started to VIOLENTLY shake. I thought a wheel was falling off and i jammed the brakes. got down to 25mph or so and it stopped. hit another one and it started again. came up to a 3rd one and got off the gas to coast over it...same thing. I mean...the truck is litterally jumping around back and forth violentyl and make me pretty nervous...nervous enough to take the lift out. no way can this be related to the carrier not being shimmed can it?? thanks for all your help

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happens when you are going over bumps, then it is suspension related. If it were on flat ground, then it would be something rotational. Check your suspension geometry. It sounds to me as if something is not true. This would cause it to buckle and thus "shake viloently" when trying to return to its resting position.

BADASS03SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happens when you are going over bumps, then it is suspension related. If it were on flat ground, then it would be something rotational. Check your suspension geometry. It sounds to me as if something is not true. This would cause it to buckle and thus "shake viloently" when trying to return to its resting position.

not sure what to check. I installed it per the install sheet and double checked everything. just re-torqued it all too and it was fine.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put in the carrier shim kit anyway. Was the shaking viloently in the steering or in the seat of the truck?

BADASS03SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put in the carrier shim kit anyway. Was the shaking viloently in the steering or in the seat of the truck?

the entire truck...like it was walking on each tire independantly just bouncing down the road.

ordering the shim kit tomorrow for piece of mind

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would install the kit as well. But I don;t believe that is the problem. If something in the driveline was not running true it would shake at all speeds when the truck is in motion.

I would check that the springs can oscillate up and down without binding. Shocks are travelling true and not being over extended, and that the steering dampner(s) is riding true as well.

Lastly, and maybe the most basic thing, was the truck aligned after the lift at a shop that is familiar with lifted trucks?

BADASS03SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would install the kit as well. But I don;t believe that is the problem. If something in the driveline was not running true it would shake at all speeds when the truck is in motion.

I would check that the springs can oscillate up and down without binding. Shocks are travelling true and not being over extended, and that the steering dampner(s) is riding true as well.

Lastly, and maybe the most basic thing, was the truck aligned after the lift at a shop that is familiar with lifted trucks?

not aligned....thought it would have to be but the install sheet said none needed.

was told on another forum its the death wobble and its due to alignment....booo

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things to really look at is steering dampner your most likely going to need two of them and the alignment is a must. Was this kit a block lift for the OEM springs??

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Align is an absolute MUST!!! There is your problem. Geometry is wayyyyy off.

Let us know after taking it to a shop where they HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH LIFTED TRUCKS!

BADASS03SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things to really look at is steering dampner your most likely going to need two of them and the alignment is a must. Was this kit a block lift for the OEM springs??

block out back on the stock spring yes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg