Turbo woes?..............(UPDATE!!!)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I was going to pressure check my intakes this morning, so I took the turbo inlet hose off and for S&G's stuck my finger in there to feel the turbo. I could barely turn the turbo with my fingers, I mean it was really stiff! So, for more S&G's I started the truck with the hose off so I could watch/hear the turbo. Same gig, with exhaust gasses driving it the turbo was only spinning intermittently, really an uneven jumpy spin to it at low idle (700 rpm) so I put the chip on high idle (1300 rpm) and the turbo was at least spinning consistantly. I shut the truck off and stuck my fingers back in there again and still very stiff. I was geting no unusual noises like blade scraping or bearing squeal. What the hell is going on? I'm thinking that this turbo should just spin right over very freely by finger no?:dunno

Heres a little background info to make the story complete. I put a new chip in so I could take advantage of the rest of my Stg I injectors, initially it was clearly a night and day difference, but shortly (like the next day) I noticed that things werent as they should be, real smokey black exhaust in both the tow and extreem settings, higher than normal EGT's, even in the economy setting accompanied by low boost numbers and just a real laggy feeling to the truck. So, after talking with a few guys here I was pretty well convinced that I had HPOP issues and was (still am) working towards getting that checked out but I also called and spoke with Bean and he suggested I check my intakes for leaks which leads me upto this mornings findings.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I have checked my turbo thatway and it spins very freely at all times. wonder if you have some soot build up on the hot side causing this drag, probly not though. How much end play does it have?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
how stiff, that puppy should spin very easy and SMOOTH

is your oil sludged up some? been hammering it alot to play with the chip?
how many miles on the turbo
your bronze bearing my be going bye bye,
i would pull it off and do a throrough autopsy.
bummer but now yoy could get a ball bearing turbo....
its only $$$$

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
:cop :cop Too much boost and egt's would be my guess....weren't you saying your EGT's towing this past summer were 1400+ and boost gauge pegged.:roflmao

I'm pretty sure it's toast, if the end play isn't that bad, that maybe why it doesn't sound like it yet.:dunno I know it should spin freely.:wow :wow

You may be able to install a rebuld kit yourself and call it good if you catch it in time. As long as your wheels and housings look good.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I'm not far behind you. Mine spins freely but has excessive endplay IMO. I am also still getting oil in the intake system with no ccv.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's not turning @ normal idle then you've got a problem. mine has alwasy turned at idle very freely.

So now you've created the excuse so how long before the H2E goes in?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
:cop :cop Too much boost and egt's would be my guess....weren't you saying your EGT's towing this past summer were 1400+ and boost gauge pegged.:roflmao

Never, EGT's on this truck have never been over 1200 and boost has never exceeded 22 psi.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
how stiff, that puppy should spin very easy and SMOOTH

How stiff? It wont continue rolling when I try to spin it with my finger, matter of fact, it takes significant finger pressure to roll it. Other words, it leaves indents on my finger to roll it.

powerboatr said:
is your oil sludged up some?

Fresh change about 1K ago.

powerboatr said:
been hammering it alot to play with the chip?

Nope.

powerboatr said:
how many miles on the turbo

If it is original (and I think it is) it has 160K on it.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep i would say you ned to do a wiki on a new h2E ball bearing turbo
but if it was me i would repalce teh bearing and do a rebuild for less $$ and get anothetr 160 out of it
its almost to simple,
but you should be able to spin her pretty freeley with just the pass of your finger.
my bet is the bushing/bearing is being nice and letting you know its time for a change before it gouges and wobbles and destroys the bearing boss:eek:
it only sintered bronze.
:eek:
http://www.mwfi.com/Turbopage.htm
check out the wobbly goblin at this site

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14