Turbo woes?..............(UPDATE!!!)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Heck I bet that rookie is printing the turbo removal wiki right now.:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Dammit:cussing: :cussing: , talk about some stubborn bolts on that bad boy!-mad

I'm down to one last bolt, the left (drivers side) rear pedistal bolt and I just broke my 1/4" universal joint trying to get the damn thing loose:rant . After dinner I have to run to Sears and pick up a couple of new u-joints and try it again. Then the turbo will be out. The two bottom bolts on the up pipe to turbo collector were really special also :rolleyes: . Bout that time I would have liked to have had one of Fords engineers family jewels in a vise grip giving him the old whatfor!-popcorn

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Dammit:cussing: :cussing: , talk about some stubborn bolts on that bad boy!-mad

I'm down to one last bolt, the left (drivers side) rear pedistal bolt and I just broke my 1/4" universal joint trying to get the damn thing loose:rant . After dinner I have to run to Sears and pick up a couple of new u-joints and try it again. Then the turbo will be out. The two bottom bolts on the up pipe to turbo collector were really special also :rolleyes: . Bout that time I would have liked to have had one of Fords engineers family jewels in a vise grip giving him the old whatfor!-popcorn

I give a hell yeah I know what your talking about to that. I turn wrenches for a living and there are not many days that I don't wish I had an engineer for a punching bag out on the job site.-mad

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
OK,

Half ways to success as of right now, turbo is out and I split the case and took the compressor wheel off, gutted the EBPV and pulled the actuator piston and tapped the hole, need to run to hardware store tomorrow and get 1/4" plug. Will take remnants of turbine and pedastal with me tomorrow when I go to Turbo Shop so I can get an expert opinion on the thing. There has been no blade to case contact, there is NO endplay or wobble, it turns very stiff, but smooth, no brg noise or grinding etc. I've never worked on a turbo before so I dont know diddly squat what I am looking at. But I do know the sumabich is out and on the ground and in pieces.

Turbo Pedestal O-Rings (between pedestal & block; pedestal & turbo)
(Ford) F4TZ-6N653-A & -B
(International) 1815560C1 & 1815561C1

Anybody know if these are "special" o-rings in case I cant get them at my IH or Ford house tomorrow? I really want to replace the o-rings while the pedestal is off.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
When I had to replace an HX hose o-ring from being pinched on install, DI told me to use Viton o-rings. I would use them there too if I couldn't find OEMs. I believe Viton stands up to oil, diesel etc. better.:dunno

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Turbo Pedestal O-Rings (between pedestal & block; pedestal & turbo)
(Ford) F4TZ-6N653-A & -B
(International) 1815560C1 & 1815561C1

Anybody know if these are "special" o-rings in case I cant get them at my IH or Ford house tomorrow? I really want to replace the o-rings while the pedestal is off.

go over to TDS(man id hate to sendyou there)and PM milner351 or search for him on ebay.he has the pedistal orings dirt cheap among other orings we need.i think he is a member here also but doesnt come around much.

sounds like youve got coked oil on your shaft :tounge :innocent .have you been letting the EGTs cool down before shutting the engine down?i let mine cool to 350 degrees before killing it.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
sounds like youve got coked oil on your shaft :tounge :innocent .have you been letting the EGTs cool down before shutting the engine down?i let mine cool to 350 degrees before killing it.

Mike, Sounds like you should install one of these COOL DOWN TIMERS once you've solved your turbo problem.

Don`t shut your hot engine down after a hard run. Switching your engine off after a heavy haul when the exhaust temperature is above normal engine idle temperature can result in turbo bearing damage.

With the engine stopped there is no oil flow over the bearings that support the hot turbocharger wheel assembly. This causes the residue oil being burned and the resulting carbon will cause premature turbo failure!
...but you already know this!

Is your turbo leaking oil?

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
go over to TDS(man id hate to sendyou there)and PM milner351 or search for him on ebay.he has the pedistal orings dirt cheap among other orings we need.i think he is a member here also but doesnt come around much.

I went to my Ford dealer, they had both pedistal o-rings on the shelf for 6 dollars. Seems high for two o-rings but they are a really pretty yellow color which I am sure is much better than a black o-ring:D . I dont have time to fool around with milner351 or ebay. This truck goes back to work Thursday morning at 0400 hrs with my azz in it.

I agree with you on the coked oil, it just feels "gummy" when I try to spin the shaft. I let my egt's cool down to 300-350 before shutting it down all the time.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Mike, Sounds like you should install one of these COOL DOWN TIMERS once you've solved your turbo problem.

Is your turbo leaking oil?

Not a bad price on the CDT, prolly does need to get added to the list of needs:cool: .

No, my turbo isnt leaking oil save for some weepage from the EPBV actuator which as of last night no longer exists.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14