turning off the Seat Belt Warning chime

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
can't do that

Why don't you just take it to the dealer, it's still under the 3yr 36k isn't it?

I live in a remote area of Alaska, so I can't get it to a dealer. It has to ride on a C-130 to go to Anchorage, about 15,000 dollars. Ford won't pay for it, I know I asked. I could put it on a barge when the Bering Sea thaws out this summer for about $7,000 but it takes a month 1 way, and if the dealer doesn't return it to a sea-port on time I'll be out of a truck until the following summer.
We have to be self-reliant here in the bush, but I'd pay a tech to fly out here and turn off this seat belt chime before this ends up being an insurance claim for fire damage.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize you are in that remote of a location, I wish you luck in turning the dumb thing off.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I live in a remote area of Alaska, so I can't get it to a dealer. It has to ride on a C-130 to go to Anchorage, about 15,000 dollars. Ford won't pay for it, I know I asked. I could put it on a barge when the Bering Sea thaws out this summer for about $7,000 but it takes a month 1 way, and if the dealer doesn't return it to a sea-port on time I'll be out of a truck until the following summer.
We have to be self-reliant here in the bush, but I'd pay a tech to fly out here and turn off this seat belt chime before this ends up being an insurance claim for fire damage.

WOW

Best of luck to ya man.

facemelter71

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If im not mistaken the GEM module keeps an eye on that part of the vehicle and it know when the seatbelt is unplugged.If that module goes bad (and it does) then it wont see the belt plugged in.Or its something with the reciever of the belt,sometimes those go bad.And i believe that it either creates a ground or stops it from grounding to make that stupid chime shut off,i cant remember.But if you can get a schematic of the belt reciever,then that will tell you what the wiring does and maybe how to stop it from chiming.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Stroker you got ot backwards. It never stops chiming. It's enough to drive a fella nuts, that chime going off while I driving around. It does not recognize when the seat belt is fastened. I even disconnected the connector under the seat, no difference. I then shorted the pins together in the connector under the seat to simulate a fastened seat belt, no help.
I have a "06 CC 4x4 Superduty with 30,000 slow rolling miles.

Any help would be great. Feel free to "chime" in, pun intentional, and I won't apologize for it.
Mmmm, sorry I misunderstood your statement "the chime never goes off".

I dont have a clue how to tackle your problem.:sorry

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
ashmass

I disabled mine by unplugging a wire that is part of the harness that goes to the chime. I believe it was a purple (and black?) wire that is attached to the steering column.

I used the book method before and it worked until it came back from the dealer, they reset it...

Now the seatbelt chime is permantly off, but easy enough to plug back in.

If you want, I'll see if I can find the instructions again

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Are you kidding?

ashmass

I disabled mine by unplugging a wire that is part of the harness that goes to the chime. I believe it was a purple (and black?) wire that is attached to the steering column.

I used the book method before and it worked until it came back from the dealer, they reset it...

Now the seatbelt chime is permantly off, but easy enough to plug back in.

If you want, I'll see if I can find the instructions again

There are very few things in this world that would make me happier than knowing which wire to disconnect and get rid of that freaking chime.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Ashmass,

I got my wires crossed earlier :innocent the one by the steering column was for the door/key chime...I disconnected the seatbelt chime under the seat...but there are other ways to get to the chime

here you go:

Door open w/key in ignition chime

Remove panel beneath steering wheel , on the right side of the steering column you will find a connector with a black wire and purple stripe.

doorchime.jpg

It is easy to disconnect and remove the wire intact (tape outside of connector) or clip the wire and tuck it back into the yellow sleeve and no more annoying chime if you have the door open and radio on ect.
All other chimes stay working.

Seat belt chime

Disconnect the smaller electrical connector under the driver seat (if you have power seats).

Or:

(This might take a few tries to get it right)

The parking brake is set.
The truck/car is in Park (automatic), Neutral (manual).
The ignition is OFF.
All doors are closed.
The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
The parking and headlights are OFF.
Then follow these 9 steps:

Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt.
This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds.

Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete

This is another method like the one above, but buckling 9 times instead of 3x3

1. Turn ignition switch to the run position

2. Wait until the safety belt warning light goes off (approx. 1 minute)

3. At a moderate speed buckle then unbuckle the seat belt 9 times ending with the unbuckled position (must be completed within 60 seconds of completing step 2)

After step 3 is complete the safety belt warning light will illuminate for 3 seconds. If step 4 is not completed within 10 seconds of step 3, the belt minder will exit programming mode without changing status.

4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the seat belt. This will disable the belt minder feature if it is currently enabled.
As confirmation, the safety belt minder light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.

if all else fails, you have to remove the radio and part of the dash to get to the chime...

hope that helps

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all you have to do is hold the red button on the piece u plug the belt into when it starts to beep and hold it till its done beeping. then let it back out and it wont beep again even if you dont hook your belt up. it will work until u turn your truck off and start your truck again

facemelter71

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all you have to do is hold the red button on the piece u plug the belt into when it starts to beep and hold it till its done beeping. then let it back out and it wont beep again even if you dont hook your belt up. it will work until u turn your truck off and start your truck again

Have you read any of this??The beaping in the dash NEVER STOPS.Whether the belt is plugged in or not.
Any updates?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14