ULSD causing fuel system problems? U decide.

MufflerDoc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am sure all of you have an opinion on the use of additives. Whether you are pro or con some consideration should be given to you choice. ULSD does not react the same as LSD to additives and ULSD is now being scientifically proven to be causing issues.
Just a short (OK, so not so short) note to pass on some info I received at a training class I attended last week. One of my suppliers offers training on a semi annual basis to update the auto repair industry on current affairs. I was unsure if this training would apply to my techs as we service only a few diesel vehicles. Turns out I was very glad we attended. It seems that the federally mandated introduction of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel on June 1 of 2006 has created an interesting issue for those of us with 06 and earlier diesel vehicles. It is my understanding that the removal of virtually all sulfur from fuel is leading to fuel system problems in larger proportions then originally expected. It seems that LSD (low sulfur diesel) was quite a bit more compatible with additives than the ULSD. The chemists at this training program stated that anti-gel additives typically reduced the temp that fuel starts to gel by up to 25 degrees while ULSD responds at only roughly 11 degrees at best and the lack of lubricity is causing fuel economy loss as well. This is definitely an issue to diesel owners but likely a more important issue is the damage occurring to the fuel system due to the lack of lubricity from the removal of sulfur. There were about 10 diesel and tractor shop owners in attendance who were greatly concerned about the warranty issues they have encountered with fuel system related failures since the introduction of ULSD. One shop owner in particular said in his shop, he has replaced more injection pumps and injectors since April then in all of the previous 2 years. This problem does not seem to be just one particular make but all makes. Shops servicing Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, John Deere and Cat were in attendance.
My concern is those of us who are uneducated about the potential pitfalls of ULSD. Unless your vehicle is serviced by an up to date shop or you have been fortunate enough to learn of these problems through forums like this, how will you know of the potential problems until you fork over 1600.00 for a new pump? The company which provided the training was BG Chemicals who obviously have a product to combat this problem in particular but it was my understanding they are one of a few working on the issue and furthermore one of very few with a product currently available to address it. Sure, the training was a sales tool for the company but it sure opened my eyes!
The minute I got home from the training I used a Google
Search with the parameters "diesel fuel lubricity" and found no references that included ULSD. Most returns were out dated by at least a couple of years. I personally don’t care what or if you are using additives. For what it is worth I would suggest you all do some research for yourselves before it hits you in the wallet.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome, mufflerdoc, interesting points, i also have researched the ulsd with some of my dealer contacts(IHC) the mentioned some of your points, plus, the other problem with pre-96 vehicles and the fuel system seals,"o"rings and fuel seals.

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is/are the company/companies that put out an aftermarket additive to combat the lubricity issues with ULSD?

-or-

What are the additives? Where can I get them?

Thanks in advance

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compatability with??

Sorry if I am being dense. It's the end of a 48hr shift...Anyhow did your class state that the new fuel may have compatibility problems with some additives, or that additives were necessary for reasons of lubricity/gelling???
If it was compatibility with the additives itself, which ones??

Thanks
Mike :thanks

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q. Will I need to put an additive in my fuel tank to replace the lubricity that was provided by the higher sulfur content?

A. Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion will be added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel is expected to perform as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
MufflerDoc,

Great write up!!! All I can say is our sales of Stanadyne with lubrication properties is waaaaay up since the 3rd quarter od last year. So far we have had a lot of calls on P and VE pump Dodges with failures too. Check out site if you need any Stanadyne, it's the ONLY Ford approved aftermarket additive too!

Mark @ DPPI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58