Question unit bearing time....

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it's that time. got 1 unit bearing going out and a ball joint on the opposite side. I have ordered up all the parts but the studs that hold the bearing assembly to the knuckle. .so my 2 questions are:

1. Has anyone been sucessful in removing the studs and reusing them? seems most people buy new studs.

2. I searched around and I cannot for the life of me find it, but I thought I seen some place where someone found a way to grease these unit bearing assemblies??

I have reviewed the ball joint and unit bearing wiki's as well, but seen nothing there on them.

Last edited:

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I have for a very long time been greasing mine. What I do is remove the ABS sensor, and using a Turkey basting type syringe, refill the unit as much as I can with Mobile one RED bearing grease. Once I've saturated the unit to best of my ability, I top it off with 75-140 Gear oil. I do this to try and remove as much air as possible. (hot air expands and forces out the oil and grease.) I do this ritual about once every year.. to year and a half. I have 200 K on the truck. The bearings seem to last me about 180K. as it was about that time that I changed both of them due to the fact they were beginning to show some slop.

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get the studs out & I would not recommend you try it. It took me 2 hours. I had to retread a couple of the studs. I would buy new ones if I had to do it over.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yeah, you can remove them, but it's suck a PITA that it's worth the jingle to buy new ones.

I put one in my truck last week (NAPA/SKF) and it came with them.

I robbed the old ones out of the junk hub anyway, and they came in handy; I made a damper tool for an AUDI 4.2L from them and a hunk of inch-and-a-half galvanized pipe.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I done all the work this am. took me 6 hours for everything, that includes hunting the tools down for the whole job as well as reusing the studs. They came out pretty darn easy if you ask me.

I didn't have my vise mounted and my 10 year old helped me hold the unit bearing when I removed the studs. Must be I got stupid lucky eh?

drives so much better now, I also took it in for a alignment as it pulled left a touch.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a pneumatic cut off tool to cut a portion of the bearing away where the studs go thru it. They came out real easy with zero damage.

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done both sides on mine twice now. I never had too much trouble getting the studs out. Just whacked the bearing in the vice, and then double nut the studs and out they come.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58