Using heating oil as fuel for the truck, damage?

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck I just bought was driven 30k out of it's 45k miles with heating oil. What is different from diesel from heating oil? Any damage possible, more sludge? Any info will be greatful!

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes he was. He ended up getting a 500 gallon oil tank installed in his garage with a pump so he could save money. When I picked up the truck, driving on the highway I was getting 18.5 mpg. (Driving 85-90 mph for 300 miles) then local I'm getting 13.7 mpg. Then once I took the move from NJ to SC towing a car I was getting 12.8 mpg on the highway. Does this sound right?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell i thought heating oil was MORE expensive.

your mpg sounds HIGH for 85+ how are you calculating
the mpg ? confirm that your over head is "accurate" some
of the early model trucks were a bit generous.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he was running heating oil in his truck it is the same thing as running a diesel fuel from the gas stations. The only difference is that heating oil or dyed diesel has a dye in it so that your local transportation authorities can tell the difference between fuel you've paid road tax on and fuel you haven't. And also around here they used to use the regular sulfur diesel for that stuff but not anymore, they probably went the same up your way. There is not harm done just savein' himself some money. Just don't get busted running that stuff in your truck.:sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont remember the home heating oil we used as a kid being colored...

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont remember the home heating oil we used as a kid being colored...

Could be just here, but I would figure they would have some way of telling if you paid road taxes on it or not. Otherwise everyone would buy it then wouldn't they, I know I would. :D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always remember my parents complaining how 'spensive the heating
oil was...iirc my dad even thought about burning #2D cause it was
cheaper...

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
WingDog, no, our heating oil dere is colored. Just transford 200 gallons out of a tank at our back building, to the house. It has a red dye to it. I know if you get caught with it in your DOT registered "on highway" vehicles, it's $10,000 fine, and the government watches your back constantly. Not a good situation!!

Reaction score
make sure you change yer filters if it was died cause those stain along with the orings on the injectors. Around here some dealerships will turn ya in without even telling you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58