Using heating oil as fuel for the truck, damage?

Mark Hastings

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The dye is added to the Highway fuel not the off road fuel and the off road fuel has a red tint to it because of the high sulfur content,the highway fuel in most states now has a bit of a greenish yellow tint,and the highway fuel won't hurt the engine or fuel system because the company I worked at 7 yrs ago was filling trucks up at the shop with the off road fuel but then DOT would grab the truck and dip the tank and if it had even the smallest amount of off road fuel they would write a $20.000 fine and dead line the truck with a 2 ft x 2ft sticker on the windshield and we would have to pack up the service truck go out and pump the truck down and refill the tank.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dye is added to the Highway fuel not the off road fuel and the off road fuel has a red tint to it because of the high sulfur content,the highway fuel in most states now has a bit of a greenish yellow tint,and the highway fuel won't hurt the engine or fuel system because the company I worked at 7 yrs ago was filling trucks up at the shop with the off road fuel but then DOT would grab the truck and dip the tank and if it had even the smallest amount of off road fuel they would write a $20.000 fine and dead line the truck with a 2 ft x 2ft sticker on the windshield and we would have to pack up the service truck go out and pump the truck down and refill the tank.

The red tint would be the dye in the off road fuel. It is not sulfur the green is most likely the sulfur cause over the years I've noticed the color of the fuel go from a greenish tinge to much clearer fuel as they have changed to the low sulfur diesel.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All ON-ROAd diesel is clear or sort of yellowish. RED DYED DIESEL or OFF ROAD FUEL is just on road with a red dye in it and both should be ULTRA LOW SULPHER at 15 ppm sulpher. FUEL OIL or #2 HOME HEATING OIL is dyed red and is the same as the diesel from 20 years ago at something like 50,000ppm sulpher. Besides being illegal to use on the road the high sulpher content will clog cats and foul out censers and will smoke like crazy. I would change those filters it may take a couple of times the dye likes to linger around and will take a few tanks to clear out. Good luck with the truck

powerstrokeit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
#2 or heating oil is better than reg. diesel the more sulpher the better lubricating property's (better for the fuel pump etc.). Easy way to sum it up, think about all the farmers out there, thats what they run. It's probably not good for the cat, but you can fix that, as far as filters just do the recommended change and you will be fine.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's amazing how all of that low tech diesel technology running on that nasty old fuel has survived 50-75 years without major headaches...

Kinda makes you wonder if we're just wasting our time? :nutkick:
To hear Ozone Al Gore talk about it, it should have grenaded the world 100 years ago... :tounge

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, there is way to many different kinds of fuel or to many terms for the same kind. Can someone break this down so we know what is what. Heating oil, kerosene, #2 etc...

Thanks
Scott

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry i cant get the link to work. But i'll try to explain. Kerosene is #1 oil and can be used as winterizer at a 30% blend to diesel but dont run it alone the lubricity is less then usld. All diesel is #2 but heating oil is comenly referd to as #2 is dyed red for tax puposes and has a very high sulpher content also you can smell the diference between heating oil and usld. On road diesel has two types lsd is 500 parts per million sulpher and ultra low (the new junk) is 15 parts per million. Off road diesel is not heating oil but on road diesel dyed red for non taxable use but some people use heating oil because it is cheaper. Just to let some of you know some states are now doing spot checks on constuction equipment (NY,CA) because it is illegal to use heating oil as fuel in those states and more are passing the same laws.

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was getting better mpg using the heating oil then this bs low sulfer diesel junk. I might have to start running the heating oil again.

I wonder what my neibors will think when they see a oil truck filling my oil tank up in the garage. When this whole develpoment has nothing but gas running everything.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful alot of states are now stoping and testing non comercial trucks and cars for that reason. The last I was told the fines start around $10,000 plus impound and tax evasion charges.:eek: :cussing:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58