Vehicle &Trailer Scales

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On this last move to Kansas City, I suspect that I was severely overweight. Maybe not, but the way my hitch was configured, is is way too low apparently, and my load distribution bars have zero weight on them. I know I need to raise my ball and get some air bags on the back, but it got me thinking: on my next self-move, can I get a vehicle scale and get an accurate trailer weight by rolling each wheel over it, and getting a tongue weight?

We used to weigh HMMWVs for air transport that way, but that was 4 wheels. Not sure if dual-axle makes a difference, but I wouldn't suspect it.

I know taking it to a truck scale would have been optimal, but for next time I'd like to be able to weigh it as I load it and before the trip. Does anyone do this, and what brand scale do you like? The ones I've used were just like a small (maybe 10"x10"-ish) steel speed bump that you placed on the ground and drove atop. Can't seem to find one online. Just a race car scale for 1K$.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a U-Haul Rental Center, or the like ? Many of them have Tongue weight scales that you could use [as you load a trailer], so you could get the tongue weight and CG where it needs to be ?

They may even sell them.. or could hook you up (no pun) with where you could buy one ?

Joe

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or,

Do you have a grain elevator close? In the small town I am from, we have a grain elevator, and when we need to know weight, we go drive across the scale.... it is on 24/7.... it can give you overall, or just put the truck, or trailer on it.... you can also figure tongue weight, pull the truck on, but leave the trailer tongue jack off the scale pad, weigh the truck, put the jack down, to take the weight off the hitch and weigh again..... been there done that.....

On a smaller trailer, we have used a bathroom scale for tongue weight......

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Brilliant idea with the grain elevator - being a city boy I never knew they had drive-on scales like that.

Also didn't know U-Haul had scales, but then again I've never used them. I'll definitely look into that, and hopefully get some leads.

Thanks!

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a truck stop. Chances are there's a couple near each other, and chances are at least ONE of them has scales.

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Plenty of truck scales near me. I'm looking more for a wheel or axle scale to weigh at my house while loading, before pulling it.

I did find a few online over the past couple days, but the cheapest so far, and what looks to be the one I've used before, is $1300. Seeing as how I'll be here for a minimum of two years, hopefully more, saving for it shouldn't be a problem.

If I do get a tongue weight scale, I'll likely buy the Sherline. Looks like a quality scale for under $200.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Cat scales at a truck stop have 4 to 5 pads so if you park on it right you should be able to get each axle weight. You could go to the DOT scales and go inside and talk to the guy there, they will help you with each axle weight. But go when there not really busy.

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of truck scales near me. I'm looking more for a wheel or axle scale to weigh at my house while loading, before pulling it.

You could always make your own using a regular bathroom scale.

Besides the scale itself, you'd need a sturdy piece of square tubing about 6 feet long, and a sturdy piece of 2" pipe about 6 or 8 inches long. The length of the pipe is not critical, as it's only going to be used to support the square tubing.

Short description:

The 2" pipe is positioned under the trailer, exactly one foot from the center of the tire. The scale is positioned on the other side of the tire, exactly 5' from the center of the tire. One end of the square tubing rests on the pipe, runs under the tire, with the other end resting in the center of the scale.

You'll obviously have to jack up the tire to get the square tubing under it and on top of the pipe and scale.

And, you really should do all axles on one side at the same time, then do the same on the other side.

What you've created here is a lever, with the pipe being the fulcrum.

Lets say the weight of the axle is 100 lbs. for example.

The pipe being one foot from the center of the tire is supporting 100 lbs.
The square tubing, if measured at 1 foot from the center of the tire, is also supporting 100 lbs. It's the same 100 lbs. by the way.
The square tubing measured at 2 ft. would be 50 lbs.
The square tubing measured at 3 ft. would be 25 lbs.
The square tubing measured at 4 ft. would be 12.5 lbs.

and so on.

What you're trying to accomplish here is the ability to fairly accurately weigh each axle, stepping down the applied weight as the distance from the point of applied force increases. Hopefully the applied weight will be low enough at the end of the square tubing to NOT crush your bathroom scale.

You could make the same contraption and use the Sherline scale instead of a bathroom scale.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58