Very rough idle help please!!!!!!!!!!

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started my truck up and it started fine then just died. Wouldnt restart so i turned key off and back on again and it started but sounds horrible, much louder diesel sound and it doesnt react much to giving it gas. Help please:wave

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started my truck up and it started fine then just died. Wouldnt restart so i turned key off and back on again and it started but sounds horrible, much louder diesel sound and it doesnt react much to giving it gas. Help please:wave

Check you valve cover plugs and make sure one hasn't worked loose. If they are both on, unplug one and see if it kills the truck or has no effect.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

1 vote for fuel problems, clogged filter, bad or weak fuel pump etc.

What is the amount of fuel in your tank? Is it below 1/4 by any chance?

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it is low, i just put 5 gal in and no change. Should i try to drain the water off front filter?

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tryed draining water out but there wasnt any, and my connections to the vc seem tight. what else can i check? thanks guys for the replys

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you got a man down, (dead cylinder), puffin white smoke when running? it doesnt clear up at all? is it cold where you are?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
PM from:
Hi you posted about my truck not running right. And u asked about my fuel level, Im kinda newby at this so any help is appreciated.

The reason I asked is because of historical problems with the fuel pickup assemblies.View attachment 3539

The black thing on the end of the fuel pickup assembly is the intake snout. Sometimes (like in my case) the intake snout is so loosely mounted that it sucks air at the top when the fuel level in the tank drops below that point. So when the fuel level drops below about 1/4 tank, the level gets below the top of the black pickup snout and it begins to suck air. When that happens engines can run very roughly or not run at all.

Several years ago a seldom seen member of this forum named Hutch-in-Augusta identified several inherent flaws in the Superduty fuel system where air gets sucked into the system causing poor running, lifter clatter and "cackle" as it became known as. What he did was to develope a fix that eliminated many weak points in the system. The materials to fix the problems are readily available from most parts places on a piece-by-piece basis, or as a kit from several different sources. One of the sources for the kit is ITP DIESEL, a site sponsor. You can look at the install instructions HERE. (Note: the kit from ITP is available with or without the spin-on fuel filter, but note that a pre-pump filter will help protect and prolong the life of your pump.)

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM from:

The reason I asked is because of historical problems with the fuel pickup assemblies.View attachment 3539

The black thing on the end of the fuel pickup assembly is the intake snout. Sometimes (like in my case) the intake snout is so loosely mounted that it sucks air at the top when the fuel level in the tank drops below that point. So when the fuel level drops below about 1/4 tank, the level gets below the top of the black pickup snout and it begins to suck air. When that happens engines can run very roughly or not run at all.

Several years ago a seldom seen member of this forum named Hutch-in-Augusta identified several inherent flaws in the Superduty fuel system where air gets sucked into the system causing poor running, lifter clatter and "cackle" as it became known as. What he did was to develope a fix that eliminated many weak points in the system. The materials to fix the problems are readily available from most parts places on a piece-by-piece basis, or as a kit from several different sources. One of the sources for the kit is ITP DIESEL, a site sponsor. You can look at the install instructions HERE. (Note: the kit from ITP is available with or without the spin-on fuel filter, but note that a pre-pump filter will help protect and prolong the life of your pump.)

So your saying i just need to put fuel in the truck?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58