Very rough idle help please!!!!!!!!!!

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No other way to check fuel pressure other than installing a gauge to the test port of the filter housing.

I'm guessing the smoke coming out when cranking smells like fuel and not antifreeze. So I'm guessing you have fuel just not getting it ignited.

Have you jumped the GPR to see if you have a bad relay? Also how old are the batteries? What condition are the cables in?

Yes it does smell like nasty fuel not antifreeze

No but it does click when key is turned on and clicks about 2 minutes after so im guessing it is good.

Both batteries and alt's were replaced 4 months ago

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Make sure the battery cables are tight.

Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's good IMO. You can jump the posts on the GPR with jumper cables to bypass the GPR. Use the same color clamps on each post completing the circuit for a few seconds then go and try to crank it over.

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks ill try it in the morning, am i jumping the big post to one of the small posts? i'm guessing the two smaller posts.

Make sure the battery cables are tight.

Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's good IMO. You can jump the posts on the GPR with jumper cables to bypass the GPR. Use the same color clamps on each post completing the circuit for a few seconds then go and try to crank it over.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
No, your are clamping one red clamp to one big post and the other red clamp to the other big post. One big post is batt power, then the PCM sends power to the small post that energizes the coil and closes the relay to send power to the other big post. The cable eliminates the chance of having a weak coil and allows power to get to the GPs. Be careful becuase the jumper cable can get warm. Don't leave it on for too long either.

Last edited:

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, your are clamping one red clamp to one big post and the other red clamp to the other big post. One big post is batt power, then the PCM sends power to the small post that energizes the coil and closes the relay to send power to the other big post. The cable eliminates the chance of having a weak coil and allows power to get to the GPs. Be careful becuase the jumper cable can get warm. Don't leave it on for too long either.

Awesome thank you very much, Ill check when i get home from work

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well i tryed it and it did the same thing, stumbling while cranking but stops when i stop cranking. Accelerator does nothing to change the stumbling effect. Im gonna try to get a meter today, so think of some tests and ill try them.

You guys are really helping alot and im sure we will get to the bottom of it soon, so I wanted to thank all of you for the ideas, big or small. If any of you have any questions about Home improvments or Motocross I'm your man, but this is my first diesel And i love it, so its time for me to learn :hail :hail

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I got a man down!!!!!!!!!! Just did a continuaty(sp?) test on the glow plugs the results are 1.3-1.4 in all of the except for one which didnt change the scale at all.

So this is telling me i have either a bad connection or the actual plug is bad correct? Does anybody know how much a glow plug is? And is it worth it to replace all of them while im in there?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, replace them all since you'll have the IC tubes removed and VC's off anyway. Glowplugs are about $10/ea. If they are reading 1.4 (ohms is what scale you should have been reading?) then they should be replaced.

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, replace them all since you'll have the IC tubes removed and VC's off anyway. Glowplugs are about $10/ea. If they are reading 1.4 (ohms is what scale you should have been reading?) then they should be replaced.

Thats what i had it set to, ohms. for 10 bucks ill do them all. thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58