Vibration noise

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad you got yours fixed. But this vibration/noise is in the front passenger side of truck not the rear. Im going to order a new Hub Assembly and see if it fixes it. Thanks for the help guys.

I didn't have any Vibration before my wheel bearings went out....they just went out with little warning at 45 mph. Is there any play in the tire when you have it jacked up. Possibly the u-joint that connects the inboard and out board axle shafts?

Last edited:

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
There was no play last time I had it jacked up about a month ago. I should have jacked it up yesterday when I had availability to a jack. I read somewhere on here that if I jack it up about an inch off the ground and put a bar under and lift up on the tire that it shouldn't move. If it does move it is the hub assembly. Im also pretty sure the U-joints need to be changed with the miles I have on the old girl. Can I do the U-joints or should I take it to a shop for that? I will try and check for movement this weekend. Thanks for the help!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was no play last time I had it jacked up about a month ago. I should have jacked it up yesterday when I had availability to a jack. I read somewhere on here that if I jack it up about an inch off the ground and put a bar under and lift up on the tire that it shouldn't move. If it does move it is the hub assembly. Im also pretty sure the U-joints need to be changed with the miles I have on the old girl. Can I do the U-joints or should I take it to a shop for that? I will try and check for movement this weekend. Thanks for the help!

I took mine to the shop....never know how deep the rabbit hole is and if you're preparred or not. Started to try it myself....then I said screw it. I'll pay someone else for this head ache. Wound up having to replace the whole left axle shaft. But someone here said that I could have just replaced the out board shaft:dunno. costed me $1300 parts and labor. The axle shaft was a little over 600. Plus thats something I've never done...and I'd hate for my wheel to fall off while going down I-20 lol. If you are comfortable with it...go for it.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced a few hubs in 320,000 miles and it's not that bad of a job. Getting the old seal off and the new one on is the only thing mildly difficult. If the ball joints were replaced 20k ago (and were done correctly), then that shouldn't be the problem.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and just get a (relatively) inexpensive bottle jack and stand from like an auto parts store.. I think I paid $50 for my jack, and $50 for the stands..

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
and just get a (relatively) inexpensive bottle jack and stand from like an auto parts store.. I think I paid $50 for my jack, and $50 for the stands..

JLDickmon I went to my brothers this afternoon and used his floor jack and checked for movement in the tire and did not find any from left to right or up and down. I did have a noise. I could be wrong but it sounded like the pad was rubbing the rotor and it didnt turn very well either. Im going to upgrade/lube the slide pins, and put new pads and see if that fixes that hopefully tomorrow.

I got under and looked at the u-joint again and noticed that it is loosest on the axle side and not so loose on wheel side. There is a bushing or maybe a bearing that I can see on axle side that has about an 8th of an inch of play up and down. The other side of truck is nowhere near this loose. Any thoughts guys?:dunno

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
The axle u joint should have no play whatsoever, and the rubbing noise could be the wheel bearing. I would bet you have a bad wheel bearing, and need new axle joints as well. I did mine in the garage at home, when i did the ball joints, all i can say is make sure you have a beefy vice. Mine only lasted thru one joint!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg