Vibration noise

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Kinda looks like what was wrong with mine... costed me $1300

YouTube - U-Joint.MPG

it was really wet on the inboard shaft side

AWESOME!! Not really. lucky it doesnt have the wetness problem.Well its going to the shop in the morning to see what these guys say. The guys im going to seem very good and prices are great. I had the uv joints on drive shaft, carrier bearing, both rear wheel bearings and the bearing where drive shaft enters rear end done for $700 a few months ago.
I hope they will leave me with some Christmas money.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWESOME!! Not really. lucky it doesnt have the wetness problem.Well its going to the shop in the morning to see what these guys say. The guys im going to seem very good and prices are great. I had the uv joints on drive shaft, carrier bearing, both rear wheel bearings and the bearing where drive shaft enters rear end done for $700 a few months ago.
I hope they will leave me with some Christmas money.

Wow....that does seem like a pretty good price

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Well I have to wait until tomorrow.:rant It snowed half an inch then sleet on top of that and then freezing rain. I cant get a ride back from the shop and some of the guys havent made it in yet. I have had no problems but others are crashed all over the place. People go crazy around here over a little snow! Schools even closed!:lmao

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in high school we'd get out if a snow/sleet cloud was headed in our general direction.....I didn't complian

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I got the truck back today. They fixed the seal on the axle housing and said the vibration noise is from the exhaust vibrating on the body somewhere around the floorboard area. They tried to move the exhaust to stop it but it didnt stop it. It doesnt seem as bad but its still irritating. I guess ill have to deal with it until after Christmas. Anyone ever dealt with exhaust vibrating off the body? If so help me!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two common exhaust system noise/vibration Gremlins:

1. The pinch weld on the firewall, near the down-pipe.

When the engine torques over, under throttle load(s), the down-pipe contacts the pinch-weld.... Buzzing sounds. Vibration felt.

2. The heat shields under the passenger seat.

Same as above.

Fixes:

Lossen, But Do Not Remove.. ALL the clamps and hangers, starting with the Turbo outlet clamp. Shim the whole system away from anything it even Looks like it might touch (I use wood wedges) (washers on the hanger brackets). Tweak the heat shields.. using a pry bar, if needed.

If the system is welded ? You can bend the hanger struts. then shim.

Tighten everything back up, starting at the Turbo outlet clamp.

PIA.. but the End Result, and Piece of Mind.. is WELL WORTH the effort.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats my problem....the down pipe is touching a bolt on the backside of the engine. Thanks;tu

Often.. just "Relaxing", (not removing anything) the whole system, welded or not, will give you room to move things.. Just Enough. It doesn't take much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58