Violent shaking/lurching

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I hear ya on the mods, Bush. My truck has been making some serious power for a while, and I'm on my first replacement. @155,000 my cooler split a gizard, but had at least 60,000 under its belt with tuner, exhaust, the whole 9 yards. To further cloud the issue with facts, I haven't had an operational EGR since my first tank of fuel. :rolleyes:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the mods, Bush. My truck has been making some serious power for a while, and I'm on my first replacement. @155,000 my cooler split a gizard, but had at least 60,000 under its belt with tuner, exhaust, the whole 9 yards. To further cloud the issue with facts, I haven't had an operational EGR since my first tank of fuel. :rolleyes:

which cooler are you speaking of that split...oil or egr ?

im assuming it was the egr...and if it cracked/split then you must have
still had some flow thru the cooler (i take it you didnt have the
egr cooler capped off on both ends?).

ever run a coolant filter ?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
EGR cooler split. I have the old one, the new one they installed is a little different. I have seen many threads where you speak of a cooling system filter and its on my list of mods.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGR cooler split. I have the old one, the new one they installed is a little different. I have seen many threads where you speak of a cooling system filter and its on my list of mods.

im just trying to figure out <thru numbers> if theres a pattern...
i mean even the guys w/ "pressure enhancing mods" have a 100k
miles on 'em....

it would be my guess if the radiator/coolants ever been drained
completely then a fair amount of this MUCK might have been
removed....assuming it hasnt already RESTRICTED something
already <like the oil cooler>.

id love to get my hands on an oil cooler just to see WHY it might
become restricted before anything ELSE....im assuming given its
over all size that its got some smaller/tigher passages.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Hey,

A guy tryed to explain what happens to me. He said basically these diesels have no blow off valves, so when excess pressure needs to be released it utilizes the EGR valve. If the EGR valve gets coked up and doesn't work as well excess heat can build up and melt the solder inside of the egr cooler. Im not sure if I explained it properly, or if this guy said it exactly right but it seemed to make sense.

Cheers
Jeff

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in theory that might SEAM true...but it would cause codes to be set
(by the ebp) and the BULK of the pressure would be vented thru
the turbine/exhaust.

i 'spose its work examination...i would expect the CRACK to be on
the flow side BEFORE the egr valve.

ps60_032_Air_Management_System.jpg

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the guy's been in the shop too long with the door closed...

First of all there shouldn't be any solder in there, it melts at what 350F? Yeah right. It's most likely a plate tube type cooler, meaning it's a bunch of sandwitched plates stacked up with water on one side and gas on the other. They are usually a swaged steel to steel seal, which can be susceptible to thermal stress and or vibration. When it is all said and done it basically boils down to a bad design.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Well just a final update. Went to pick it up. On the last testdrive the mechanic noticed it was running a little rough so he decided to replace the turbo (im sure more led him to detemine it was the turbo). Anyways after taking it apart it was apprently destroyed and seized inside so now I have a new turbo aswell as EGR cooler. Lets keep the fingers crossed that everything else stays all well!

Cheers
Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg