warm up time...

atk

Reaction score
even though i am a mechanic, i have very little diesel knowledge, but i am learning. some of my questions may have seemed dum coming from a mechanic, just trying to get other point of views. what would be an adequate warm up time? right now i am letting it warm up for about ten minutes. there is usually heat by then and i take off. i do take it easy till the temp guage is up to the second line. with the weather getting colder i know the warm up time will increase. how cold does have to be before i need to plug it in? any info would be great...

_________________________________________________________________ 2004 FORD F250 XLT SD PSD 4X4 CREW CAB SHORT BOX

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually let the truck warm up for about 2-3 minutes in warm weather, when the glow plugs finally kick off (2 minutes?) is usually about the time I put her in gear.

I've been plugging in under 40 degrees fahrenheit, I have it on a timer though; it doesn't actually come on until about 12:30, and I get up at 5 and leave just before 6AM. So I'll plug it in, and it wont actually start heating anything until about 5 hours after I got home. I go out in the morning before I leave and let the truck run for about 15 minutes too. I'll see how it goes when it starts getting below freezing here shortly.

I run plenty of fuel additives too, when it was warm I was running a tank treatment every other fillup, but since it's getting and staying cold where I live I've been running Power Services Diesel Kleen (white container) every fillup, no problems. I got some Stanadyne to try out too.

I just changed my fuel filter about two weeks ago too, so I should be good for the most of winter

One last thing I normally do is let the truck "cool" down, usually about a minute or so after I put her in park. Even for a stock truck, I assume it has to help a little to let the EGTs and oil temps get cool down a bit. Probably really doesnt matter all that much.

Reaction score
You shouldnt have to plug the truck in until it gets really cold. Ive had my truck 2 years and it has right at 100,000 miles on it. I've yet to plug my truck in and have never had any trouble with it starting. If it gets below 30 I let the plugs heat twice and she always fires right up. However considering how far north you are, you may have to.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, you shouldn't have to plug it in, but we have the option to plug it in. It's not hurting anything atleast to my knowledge, plus everything is relatively warmed up when I start it.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
You may plug in any temp. Whem it is useful is the question. Let the sound of the motor be your quide. Ive noticed that it is all loud if it is 30 or below. Plugging it in quiets it down and I see a fuel savings at the end of the week. Generally enough to buy a couple cans of copenhagen. But that may be depending on how much your elec. bill goes up. Its about mid twenties to thirtys here. Warming time, the manual I believe states that you wait for about 15 seconds also making sure that your oil pressure has reached normal and then go.

atk

Reaction score
thats true, i may try it soon to see if it will make a difference....planned on getting a timer anyway for when it does get colder....

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
oh yea, I forgot that. Do get a timer. Everybody says to get a high wattage timer. I just got a cheap one 7.99 at Target and have been using it for about two years. set it for three hours prior to leaving.

atk

Reaction score
always good to have fuel savings. i just might try it for this week. temp here is what you are having.... nice truck Boadie, almost bought identical to yours....thanxs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58