warm up time...

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck has no block heater. It has the hole (plugged) where it would go, but no heater. I let my truck warm up until the GPR kicks off. It only gets down to about 30 here at the coldest tho. And those days are few and far between!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ATK... I plug mine in when it gets down to about 15*F at night... be about 9-10 below zero in the Celsius scale... let it warm up untill the oil pressure is up and the windows are starting to clear... should be 2-3 minutes...

unplug your block heater before you fire it off... sudden rush of cold water from the radiator will burn it out in a heartbeat...

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my third deezle Ex and have never plugged in... nor idled to warm up...
Granted we spend most of our time in the DFW area, but even on trips to the frigid northlands have never done either even when temp in the single digits...

What I like to do to help the neighbors, is start it with the remote start as I am going out... gives it the little delay to warm the gp's, get in, put it in third gear and drive off easy....
much quieter engine noise and seems to be less strain on everything :)

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plug mine in the first sign of frost. I apply every means of technology available to warm my vehicles (selfish motiviation is my own body warmth) including block heater, heated seats (leave 'em on in winter), window defrost set, and run the remote start for a few minutes. Add a hot cup of coffee and ready to battle Michigan winter (all in perspective) :sweet

Block heater alone nets me warm air within the 1st mile, as opposed to 3-4 miles.:)

Most Luxury cars include heated seats, heated mirrors, steering wheels, cup holders, heated rear seats, heated/cooled glove compartments.

F350 (approaching luxury import $ :roflmao ) heated seats, heated mirrors and a cord coming off my engine block. I'm making the most of what I've got :thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
fordtrucker4life! said:
I don't know of anything that fires harder than an inline 6 Cummins. I am not sure about the 5.9's but the larger Cummins will not fire even with the block heater plugged in. Only fires with ether which is not good at all.
That use to be the case but not anymore. We had a couple of Cummins 500 ISX engines back in 02' that were hard to start on a warm day. I also use to run a few Cummins 444 and big cam 400's which were also hard to start. We just recently got two new Pete's with the 06' Cummins ISX 565 and they start great at any temperature. Before driving one of these for 30,000 miles in the last two months you could not run fast enough to give me a Cummins but these new ISX engines are awesome. They start great, run great and pull like a freight train(the 565 will pull right with a Cat 625 and out-pull with #1 fuel in both). They also don't seem to be effected by the new low sulfur fuel or by regular number 1. All the Cats we have in the fleet fall on there face when you put the crappy fuel in them but the new Cummins just run. No ether or any other staring aids needed with the new ones :sweet

As far as warm up time for my PSD: When at home it is inside so I back it out and head down the road. When at work it is plugged in so I hit high idle and turn on the EBPV until the temp gets to N in normal and then hit the road. Usually takes about 5 minutes at below 0 temps. In both cases I don't go over half throttle until the temp is up to the O or R. I do run Synthetic oil and have a pan heater so the oil is warm before I even start it.

atk

Reaction score
i will be plugging it in soon at nights, just need to get timer. for now i have letting it run for about 5 min. (enough time to have a smoke, no smoking in new truck) by now there is heat coming out of heater and i take off, but take it easy for a few minutes, nothing over 1750rpm. i also run synthetic oil....thanx....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58