Wasn't Thinking!!

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it to myself!!! I put in 5 gal.s of gas in instead of diesel. I drove home (1 mile) and parked it. What is the proceedure. Can I just add 25 gals.(reminder of fillup) of diesel to dilute, or do I need to drain. Help!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it to myself!!! I put in 5 gal.s of gas in instead of diesel. I drove home (1 mile) and parked it. What is the proceedure. Can I just add 25 gals.(reminder of fillup) of diesel to dilute, or do I need to drain. Help!

If I'm understanding the math.. you have 12 gallons in the tank.. 5 of which is a Gasoline/Diesel Mix.. I'd DRAIN IT.

The trip back to the station [could] do some damage.

In the mile you drove.. you probably didn't get much gasoline into the fuel system..YET.. Don't Start it.. Drain It.

My .02 :dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With only 12 gallons... you could open the filter drain.. apply pressure (Shop Vac on Blow) to the fuel cap port and push the mix out.. might take awhile.. but you can gitr dun.

Then put 5 gallons of diesel in... push IT thru, 'til you get a stream of diesel. Start it.. it may buck & miss a bit but it'll clear up.

Joe

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful with a shop vac .. remember fuel and spark = bad
I would be draining it all ,, droping a tank isn't hard and changing filters also

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful with a shop vac .. remember fuel and spark = bad
I would be draining it all ,, droping a tank isn't hard and changing filters also

Didn't think diesel would ignite just from a spark? My dads favourite fuel to build a fire and he usually has to hold a flame to it. And the shop vac would be blowing not sucking...so guess if a spark flew through the hose:dunno

A cool set up (maybe??) shooting compressed air into the cap (maybe have an extra cap with an air fitting) and force it through like Joe said...open up the drain valve on the filter housing...catch it from the bottom. Not sure how that would work becuase the way our fuel system is designed to purge air????

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has reg Gas in there now and I read about a guy blowing himself up in his boat this way

just a warning

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a 6.0 I would drain it, but if it a 7.3 I would dump in a qt. of 30w oil and drive it back to the station and fill it up with diesel.
Doug

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there done that. Went ahead and filled with diesel, thru in some 2 cycle oil. Never missed a beat. I LOVE my 7.3L!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg