Wasn't Thinking!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's BASIC.. "How do They Do That".. when fuel products are pumped from a Refinery, or Bulk Receiving Depot.. to a Distrabution point, via pipeline, truck, rail road, ships.. whatever.

Between products (say Gas & Diesel) there's a "Slug" of mixed product.. it's monitored All the way thru the pumping/piping system so the distribution center knows.. within minutes, of it's arrival time. Extensive computer & voice con communication is going back & forth, between the Shipper & Receiver during the Whole process.

When the "Slug" arrives, It's detected and diverted into Slop tanks until the Product (say #2 Diesel) being sent, begins to, by Lab Controlled sampling, Show API (America Petroleum Institute) standards for.. here to for, #2 Diesel.

The Lab, API sampling consist of Gravimetrics, millipore filter tests for sediments, clarity and flash Point.. as well as.. Brand Specific.. quality standards. At this point, #2 diesel is basically.. a clear colored fuel.

**(A [fading;)] example that kinda comes to mind...: JP-5.. must weigh, 6.82 Lbs per gallon and MUST flash @.. no less than 14? degrees and have no more than *** amount of sediments... PPM. To be dispensed/sold as... JP-5. The same standards apply for ALL grades.. of petroleum products, some more.. some less.. stringent)

When the #2 diesel is on spec.. it then gets pre-filtered and diverted into Bulk Storage tanks.. for distribution to the vendors, by Brand name. Each of the Brand Name vendors.. adds their Brand specific color of dye (Off Road, non taxed #2.. Red)... at the truck fill stands.

Again.. A Very Basic.. Primer ?

Joe

* Retirement caused.. Brain Fade ;):D:lmao

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brain overload. Good info though :)

:lmao I hear ya.. Maybe TMI...

The point being.... there's alot that goes on.. up-stream of the local station, pump nozzle, as far as Quality Control goes.

There are "Blending" procedures that can be done, on mega gallonage levels that can bring products, back on spec, at the Bulk Terminals.

The Fuel Lab testing is the Key.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I ended up using my old original gas cap(I bought a locking one)and drilled it out and attached my valved pneumatic air blower and sealed up the cap perimeter venting with duct tape. This made it real easy to screw in and get a good seal. I tried with a rag but was just too slow.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job! now repeat this 10 times /////
I drive a real truck now and real trucks use diesel
gas is for cars and lawn mowers "

lol

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Good job! now repeat this 10 times /////
I drive a real truck now and real trucks use diesel
gas is for cars and lawn mowers "

lol
HaHa, I know,I know. It reminds me what my old Pappy used to say when something went wrong..... "happens to the best of em!" R.I.P. Dad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58