Water in fuel

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Went to return a trailer this morning and the WIF light came on :( . Got home and drained the filter housing and Here is what came out. The line which I'm assuming is the water at the bottom is at about 6oz. This is the first time I've had the light come on and the first time I've ever gotten water when drained. I've put 35k on the truck and drain the filter every 5k and change filters at 12 to 15k.

The light was still on after starting. :confused: I'm on the way to out the door to fuel up(I'm at 1/4th tank which I hate doing.) This was only the 2nd tank since my trip to CO and NM, I get fuel at the same Love's every time other than when I was on the road.

Oh, and should I changed the filter? This one has 7k on it and it was the last one on my shelf. Knew I should have ordered some when I changed it last. :rolleyes:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Well I cleared the codes before pulling out to get fuel. Light still on.

After fueling, drained the housing again and got 2 more oz. of water. 3rd time was just diesel. Cleared codes again with light still on.

I've got to use the truck today, how bad is it to drive if I did have bad fuel. I can't get a filter until tomorrow. I'll clean out the bowl and change it in the morning.

Any other ideas?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Almost sounds like the whole tank of fuel has to go.

Have you considered the Dahl 100 setup for the near future?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
The whole tank eh? I started to think about that after I fueled up yesterday. :( I had too much to do yesterday and couldn't afford to be down. Now if it comes to that I've got to toss about $70 in fuel. -mad

It's now an intermittent light which is mostly on. Changing the filter today here in a bit and adding some fuel treatment. Fingers are crossed!

As for a pre-pump filter, I've pondered the Dahl, Racor and Air Dog. I was set on an Air Dog because a couple people that run them, that I've spoken with, told me they picked up some fuel mileage. Looks like I've got to make some phone calls today!

Thanks for the input guys! :thumbs

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If the light is randomly illuminating maybe most of the junk has come out of the tank or separated to a point staying high from the fuel pickup.

I think acquiring one of the fuel filter/water separators would be a very good investment especially if the fuel supply up in your neck of the woods was recently fouled.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I treated the full 38 gallon tank with Fuel Power(said it treated up to 240 gallons) from FPPF and let it set overnight. HERE is some info on it. David at DI told me about a product that someone had just brought in and showed him made by the same company and referred me to the websight. I found the Fuel Power at one of the Love's. The Stanadyne dealer was out along with no PS at Wally world. I think some bad fuel went through here. :rolleyes:

Well :eek: HERE is what the inside of the filter housing looked like. I removed the heating element and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. THIS and THIS ;tu is what it looked like after. Installed a new filter and the light is now off. Performance is normal.

This weekend the tank is coming down! In tank and harpoon mods will get done along with a good scrubbing of the tank! Prolly going to try and get a Dahl filter from Bob for now and do it all at the same time. My IPR kit will be in at IH tomorrow so I'm going to try to get some pics for some additions to the WIKI! :D
:thanks again guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim