water4fuel

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use or heard about using hydrogen to boost your mpg on diesels. I have been reading about it on the web it sounds good but have not heard if you can use it on direct injection diesels. If it works they say you can get anywere from 26% to 50% increase on mpg. please let me know.
Thanks Robinson

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use or heard about using hydrogen to boost your mpg on diesels. I have been reading about it on the web it sounds good but have not heard if you can use it on direct injection diesels. If it works they say you can get anywere from 26% to 50% increase on mpg. please let me know.
Thanks Robinson

No way, that is bs advertising. I'll believe that when I hear some testimonials from people I know and trust.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
it does work...however on a big 7.3 diesel the amount of hydro/oxy you would need to produce, is about 15 times more than what these people are pushing into thier 1.8 liter gassers to get 26-50% increase.

ON EDIT: WITH FURTHER RESEARCH I HAVE CHANGED MY OPINION.......PLEASE KEEP READING.

Last edited:

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using distilled water and baking soda instead of salt water they say you get a better yeald of hydrogen.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
FROM THE SITE:
Many of the hydrogen injection systems are under-powered to handle different engine sizes. Logic dictates that a 15 Liter engine requires more hydrogen than a 4 Liter engine yet most hydrogen injection systems are designed to produce half a liter to a liter of gas per minute

i tinkered a little today, i want to see how many cfm i can get out of a converted 800 CCA battery pushing 14 volts to it... i will post up when i get results.

Last edited:

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found this linkhttp://www.dieselhydrogen.us/
this kit is big but it would fit in the yruck bed like a tool box.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Can produce approximately 320 liters of oxygen & hydrogen per hour

-320 per hour = 5 1/3 liters per minute of hydro/oxy gas. being produced.
-a 7.3, idling at 500 rpms not producing any boost, is pulling 1825 liters per minute.
-a 7.3 turning 1500 rpms at 0 psi boost is pulling 5475 liters per minute.
-a 7.3 turning 2500 rpms at 14 psi boost is pulling in 18250 liters per minute.

so, the amount of hydro/oxy gas being made ends up being:
.0029% of the air being pulled in at idle
.00097% at 1500rpm/0psi
.00029% at 2500rpm/14psi

these numbers are very rough. i just dont see how this could ever show an increase of mileage worth the $2000 and trouble of having this huge box in your bed. also...it draws 60 amps, you would need an auxillary alternator, and at idle everything would still dim down like your glowplugs were on.

im not saying this ISNT worth it, im just finding it hard to believe.

PowerSmoker73

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
-320 per hour = 5 1/3 liters per minute of hydro/oxy gas. being produced.
-a 7.3, idling at 500 rpms not producing any boost, is pulling 1825 liters per minute.
-a 7.3 turning 1500 rpms at 0 psi boost is pulling 5475 liters per minute.
-a 7.3 turning 2500 rpms at 14 psi boost is pulling in 18250 liters per minute.

Your numbers are correct, but you missed one point. An engine needs only 4 % volume of Hydroxy in order to run an engine totally off hydroxy without any other fuel. Therefore at idle 500rpms that would be 73 liters per minute
at 2500rpms that would be 730 liters per minute under boost.

It may seem little, but hydroxy is a very powerful alternate fuel, any internal combustion engine can run off it. Just think of those guys running propane, this is similar but not as dangerous since you cant flood the enigne with too much hydroxy since the generator wont flow as much as a tank of pane.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i dont have time to crunch crazy numbers, but i will re-attack this tonight, as i would like to make something that works (maybe not on my diesel, but the gas mustang)

the stoich. ratio for hydrogen is 34:1, i didnt add that into my thinking when i formed my opinion of "it wont be worth it".....but i am still VERY skeptical. more # crunching tonight, hydrogen is the way of the future so we might as well get this figured out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg