Question Well I found that oil leak...

JRJ04

Reaction score
Found a little oil in the valley today after I noticed it accumulating on the TC shield housing. I knew it was leakin a little oil, but after losing 3 injectors...I just said to heck with it...if it runs im leavin it alone.

I'm almos certain its either the boots on the turbo that go down into the engine or the hpx line. Im leaning away from the hpx cause the fittings dont seem to be oily or nasty (i tightened them just to make sure) Theres a spot on the bottom part of the driver side where its all yucky and im guessing with making 20lb of boost on a fairly regular basis it has weakened the boots.

My question now...how hard are these to replace? It doesnt look like you need to remove the entire turbo, just the "baby's butt." Theres a lot of "stuff" connected to the lower portion of it. Hard to remove? Any chance of really screwing something up? Seems like a fairly easy job, but wanted check it out with you guys.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Pull all the rubber and metal hoses.......the intercooler etc and clean them up good with soap and water.

Then do the CCV mod before putting it all back together.

Tbar

JRJ04

Reaction score
im just really leary of the ccv...i dont want those oily nasty fumes dripping all over my driveway and ive been told you dont want to create backpressure with a filter. how much blowby do you get?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Yes........I have a bit of blow by......you can see it sometimes.

There is oily residue on the end of the hose and the smell of ccv fumes while idling with the windows down but..........I have never noticed any oil on my driveway and I don't have a fowled intercooler system, boots that blow off or oil accumulating in the valley.

Tbar

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

careful on the HPX fittngs. they are oring seals. tighter is not always better!

you can do the ccv filter like BIG JOE and I have done. it cleans the airstream and returns the oil to the engine.

you can pull the hoses off in about an hour. IC another hour. you will need a prybar.

get the intercooler boots and clamps from dieselsite.

WASH out your IC with a little bit of Dawn and HOT water. rinse it good and give it a day to dry out. shine a halogen work lamp on it helps. look at the barbs on the IC too-make sure they are smooth for a good seal. wash the pipes too.

do a dry run of putting stuff back together to make you can get everything lined up.

search using hairspay to 'glue' the boots on. get yourself a 99cent can of aquanet. or mooch from your GF.

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X 2 on what dp & Tbar sez.

But..... If [I'm] understanding what yer saying JR.. >IF< the Intake boots are (in fact) leaking oil.. at a rate that causes a dripping leak.(?) That would mean yer sucking oil from the CCV, thru the Turbo, blowing it thru the I/cooler and into the intake(s) Plenum(s)... Not Good. CCV issues, Big Time.

Again, what dp & "T" sez would be my course of action fer shur.

(I'd suspect and inspect the HPX fitting first though. Look for oil ceaping down the "V" between the HP oil rail & head.. at a Warm Engine shut down. Often, those O rings don't leak at idle.. they leak at Speed, Load or RPM.)

Joe

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
j:

search using hairspay to 'glue' the boots on. get yourself a 99cent can of aquanet. or mooch from your GF.

dp

call CeeCee DeVille. I'm sure he can score you a couple cans outta his stash..

dpantazis

Reaction score
did you try using UV dye in the oil to trace the leak?

did you check the trans pan gasket too? since my truck sits alot, i got trans fluid dripping off the bottom of the trans and inspection plate. drove me nuts until snugged the trans pan gaskets and the drips stopped.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
My truck had less than 40k miles on it when I had similar symptoms. I thought it was turbo orings and took it to the dealer for warranty service.

When I got it back the dealer told me it was excessive CCV fumes/oil in the intercooler system caused by either a too restrictive or dirty air filter causing an unusual amount of vacuum on the CCV.

Over time a normal amount of oily build up would produce the same effect.

Tbar

JRJ04

Reaction score
j:

careful on the HPX fittngs. they are oring seals. tighter is not always better!

you can do the ccv filter like BIG JOE and I have done. it cleans the airstream and returns the oil to the engine.

you can pull the hoses off in about an hour. IC another hour. you will need a prybar.

get the intercooler boots and clamps from dieselsite.

WASH out your IC with a little bit of Dawn and HOT water. rinse it good and give it a day to dry out. shine a halogen work lamp on it helps. look at the barbs on the IC too-make sure they are smooth for a good seal. wash the pipes too.

do a dry run of putting stuff back together to make you can get everything lined up.

dp

are you saying completely remove the entire intercooler and wash it out??? I guess I really need to check that hpx line again. I hope im not getting so much blowby that its causing it to leak out. If I am, maybe that would explain why when I rev it at idle I get blueish white smoke?:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58