What can be done about "warped" rotors?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I don't think I have put a single mile on my truck without the brakes surging during a stop. I gone through multiple sets of rotors and pads yet within a few days, they are "warped" again.

get them machined, hand torque the wheels on. NO AIR GUNS.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
was that the black coated ones?
I've never had a problem with them in 50,000 miles...

No they are the "ultra premiums". No black, just looks like shot peened finish. I tried to take them back after a exchanged and was denied. I was also told "that all rotors warp, especially if you tow" by the napa guy. So I am now currently talking with the napa customer support folk trying to get my $400 back.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Powerslots on mine, front n rear with 80-90K on them, have towed a bunch, hauled big loads etc over Donner Summit n others. No warping or other issues-Hawk pads tho I couldnt tell you what "color". I had the rotors cryo'd which is the same as the Frozen Rotors and they support the site....

JL, are you saying that one shouldnt use an air gun even to run the lugs up to where a guy would start torqueing them?? Always wondered...

Mike

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
No they are the "ultra premiums". No black, just looks like shot peened finish. I tried to take them back after a exchanged and was denied. I was also told "that all rotors warp, especially if you tow" by the napa guy. So I am now currently talking with the napa customer support folk trying to get my $400 back.

first of all, the NAPA guy is a jackass, and I full expect you to tell him so. I would be disappointed if you didn't.

secondly, I had a set of those same rotors, and they pitted in under a year.. thing I've got going for me, is I use NAPA commercially, so I get a little more pull.. I turned the "Ultra's" in on the "Onyx" ones, haven't had a problem since..

Now, I understand the theory behind cryo-treated rotors, and were all things equal, I'd use them in a heartbeat.. BUT.. when I can pick up the phone and say, "Hey, Jerud.. send me two part number 86823 rotors..." and I have them in half-an-hour, well, that counts for a lot, too.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
oh hey, yeah..
did you happen to measure (or have the ability to) the run-out of the face of the hub?

just thinkin' out loud..

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check this thread from 2 years ago, and see the message no-red-6-o posted toward bottom. I went with them and haven't had a worry since. Before that I heard all about how "normal" warping was supposed to be by more than a couple of fatheaded counter nuts.

Still seem to be available, here.

Here's the cost info from my email, just fyi:
====
Hi Rich,

F/R Drilled & Slotted rotors with Z36 Pads would be $320.00 shipped in
the lower 48 states. All of our rotors (unless a hub/rotor assembly
which yours is not) come with a silver zinc dichromate finish, the
black coating is no longer available.

If you have any other questions etc I can be reached directly at
708-704-2223 or any of other numbers contained in this email.

Thanks,
Adam

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Rich wrote:
> Hello Adam?
> I got your name from a happy customer (Red 6-oh-no, aka Dan, see your email
> to him below). Am wondering if you can get me prices on a set of 4 rotors
> and pads for a 2002 Ford F250 superduty 4wd Crewcab single rear wheels, with
> 7.3L diesel engine? I would like either drilled only, or drilled & slotted,
> and would probably go for the zinc coating too. Not sure what additional
> info you need about my rig -- using the powerstop site recommendation, I'd
> probably go with commercial duty & Z36 pads -- some occasional moderate
> towing.
> Thanks in advance.

> ===============
> i just went drilled/slotted w/ a Z26 pad... from brakemotive in
> chicago...below is an excerpt from my email from him to me!
> if you talk to him - reference me (red 6 0-no =dan), very nice guy, knows
> what he is talking about...quick delivery, good correspondence...you'd need
> to get your 'specific' sized rotor for your year and follow the break-in
> procedure...i only have a couple hundred miles on them, seem to stop real
> well.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
oh hey, yeah..
did you happen to measure (or have the ability to) the run-out of the face of the hub?

just thinkin' out loud..

No, no such tools for me (not yet :sly). What do I ask for to get the "onyx" rotors. I hate R&R these super heavy rotors. I would like it to be a every 90K kinda job. Not a every 20K or less job.

And being a small repair shop myself I love to keep my money local as well :sweet

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
OK so now I cant stand NAPA even more! I looked at the "onyx" on line vs what I paid for vs what the box said on the out side vs what I got. They straight up cheated me. AND I have not heard a word back from the "customer support".

I going to the shop now to see the "warrantied" rotors to see if these are the "onyx" which are the "ultra premiums". Man what a bunch of sobs. I look at the complaints about NAPA and it looks like you have to get the cops involved before anything gets resolved.

Giving these jerks a week before I make sure to tell anyone I care about never to step foot in NAPA EVER! :rant

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
OK so now I cant stand NAPA even more! I looked at the "onyx" on line vs what I paid for vs what the box said on the out side vs what I got. They straight up cheated me. AND I have not heard a word back from the "customer support".

I going to the shop now to see the "warrantied" rotors to see if these are the "onyx" which are the "ultra premiums". Man what a bunch of sobs. I look at the complaints about NAPA and it looks like you have to get the cops involved before anything gets resolved.

Giving these jerks a week before I make sure to tell anyone I care about never to step foot in NAPA EVER! :rant

Go get 'em, son...

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cryo's with Hawk Performance pads fixed the very same problem for me. VERY happy with the performance of this set up. Well worth the cash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14