Question What did you do to your truck today?

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me give you a tip on these tool boxes. Chain the sliding tray to one side or it will slide from side to side and ruin a bunch of stuff. Mine used to throw out wrenches and hand saws, knives and planes. Trashed a bunch of knives and planes and threw small nuts and bolts all over.

Dave ;tu

hmmm... Ive had it in there for like 5 years without any problems. my dad has the exact toolbox with the same tray and his barely budges, at all, kind of annoying actually.

Maybe now that its cleaned and organized it will become a pain in the ass.. thats the rules right?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. you been busy Bdons, Nice Work ;tu

You gave me an Idea.. I like those bed lights. I'm guna mount a pair.. I think.

Joe

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. you been busy Bdons, Nice Work ;tu

You gave me an Idea.. I like those bed lights. I'm guna mount a pair.. I think.

Joe

Thanks man! It was just one of those days, I had the box on saw horses all cleaned out and it was like "oh i can do this.... and this... and this.... and and and this... " couldnt find a place to stop. I need to make new brackets for it, my steel is a little thin and those lights are a little heavy and they wiggle a bit. but theyre good for now. I may just get smaller lighter lights instead since I used silicone to waterproof the holes.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! It was just one of those days, I had the box on saw horses all cleaned out and it was like "oh i can do this.... and this... and this.... and and and this... " couldnt find a place to stop. I need to make new brackets for it, my steel is a little thin and those lights are a little heavy and they wiggle a bit. but theyre good for now. I may just get smaller lighter lights instead since I used silicone to waterproof the holes.

:lmao I know what yer say'n.. I get going and can't stop.

A thought ? Maybe a thicker 8X8" backing plate, mounted on the inside ? put a bow in'm so they suck up flat.. when you re-mount the lights..:dunno

On the tray ? I drilled a hole thru the tray and it's slide.. drop a 3/8ths draw pin in the hole, to hold the tray in-place. 2 stops to keep it from sliding all the way across.. :dunno

Jus' say'n. ;):D

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in how your new "KC Back Up Lights" compared to the round par lamps you had previously.

I mounted those round par lamps, like we see on tow trucks, and they were so yellow/dim that I added 4 more. Yikes... when I throw it in reverse it must look like oncoming traffic from a freeway there are so many lights a blaze. But they are still not that effective it seems. Of course, they were only $11... but I wanted throw aways incase I smashed them on the departure angle.

So you are the perfect person to ask, since you've just changed from round par to the KC back ups... did you notice that much of a difference?

I can't tell by your photo, cause the camera clips brightness at some point, making even the factory reverse lamps in the tail light housings look as bright as your 55 watt halogens. So what is your real world live assessment?

Thanks!

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in how your new "KC Back Up Lights" compared to the round par lamps you had previously.

I mounted those round par lamps, like we see on tow trucks, and they were so yellow/dim that I added 4 more. Yikes... when I throw it in reverse it must look like oncoming traffic from a freeway there are so many lights a blaze. But they are still not that effective it seems. Of course, they were only $11... but I wanted throw aways incase I smashed them on the departure angle.

So you are the perfect person to ask, since you've just changed from round par to the KC back ups... did you notice that much of a difference?

I can't tell by your photo, cause the camera clips brightness at some point, making even the factory reverse lamps in the tail light housings look as bright as your 55 watt halogens. So what is your real world live assessment?

Thanks!

I noticed a massive difference, not just in the brightness of the lights but in the light disbursement as well. With the cheapos I couldn't even see any extra light. Plus they fill with water over time and go bad. I was worried about the departure angle as well since I've racked those cheap lights a couple of times, but this time around I used the factory bolts that thread into the bumper and relocated my factory trailer plug. And in doing this the lights are protected by the receiver, that will scrape before the lights hit. I'll get some day time pics in reference to the mounting and departure angle for you.

Joe- thanks for the tips! I may also zap a couple gussets in my existing mounts. Having a welder is quite handy.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I noticed a massive difference, not just in the brightness of the lights but in the light disbursement as well. With the cheapos I couldn't even see any extra light. Plus they fill with water over time and go bad. I was worried about the departure angle as well since I've racked those cheap lights a couple of times, but this time around I used the factory bolts that thread into the bumper... I'll get some day time pics in reference to the mounting and departure angle for you.

:sweet

Thanks for the iNSTANT iTHINGY response! I suspected this, but your confirmation is exactly what I needed. Especially since I recently went to Harbor Freight when their lights were on sale for $10 a pair and bought some more cheap lights! Will I ever learn? Fortunately I haven't replaced them yet.

I'm going to get the KC's.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sweet

Thanks for the iNSTANT iTHINGY response! I suspected this, but your confirmation is exactly what I needed. Especially since I recently went to Harbor Freight when their lights were on sale for $10 a pair and bought some more cheap lights! Will I ever learn? Fortunately I haven't replaced them yet.

I'm going to get the KC's.

Yep! I'm sure there are much brighter lights out there, but as back up lights i am fully satisfied. They're def not as bright as a 200 dollar pair of lights, but that's apples and oranges. The nice thing is they come with a complete wiring kit, relay, wire taps, fittings and conduit

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a daytime pic of where they are mounted. There's one factory bolt on each side of the receiver that's self threaded so it literally bolts right up. Then the plug needs to be relocated.

62cbedd8-ad68-b23d.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58