What Ford Diesel if the BEST?

Which Ford Diesel is the BEST and WHY (post in thread)?

• 7.3L IDI

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 7.3L DI Powerstroke

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • 6.0L Powerstroke

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • 6.4L Powerstroke

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
MY 6.0 is best :stir

let her sit for three weeks and she sets engine lights.

but pulls like a freight train hooked up :hail

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I love my 6.0, but thats the only diesel I have ever driven, so I can only speak for the 6.0

I'd buy another one in heart beat, but it would probably be a 2005 to 2007 model, simply because I like the front ends better on those years.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is hard to not pick the 6.0 when you get power, dependability, and great fuel mileage. I know of some 7.3's that are also getting around 20 mpg empty, so with a chip, they are as good as the stock 6.0 .

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'll throw one in for the 7.3L,we've had our '02 for almost 7 years,hasn't been to the Dealer Service Dept once,that's a good engine:sweet

I believe it all comes down to Quality Control on the engine build production lines plain and simple regardless of brand or year.

SandW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford dealer or website for checking recall info?

So it appears the 6.0s after 2003 are certainly ok, with the bugs worked out.

What diesels are Ford making now in their small trucks? I noticed in 2003 they seemed to make a 7.3 and 6.0, and later years they cut it done to one kind only (or so I thought). Is the 6.0 still in production?

Anyone know if Ford can determine what upgrades/recall fixes a truck has had on it if the VIN is reported to a dealer or central call line? Or any websites for such info? I haven't found any, yet.

I need to know what the problems were for each year and engine, to determine if the trucks I consider have been fixed or may have certain issues, for price considerations (and headaches as well).

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Take the VIN into your dealer and ask for an OASIS report, it will list any work done to the truck by ford, under warranty or not.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
kinda like asking what cigar or beer (or god forbid OIL) you like...

i love my problem free 6.0L

Acid, Sierra Nevada, Rotella 5w-40 :D But seriously, a 6.0 isn't a bad choice. I know I'll probably be in the minority on this, but I remain unimpressed with the 6.4. The ones that I've driven felt doggy, one wouldn't start, and one had the notorious tick with about 50 miles on it. Although I'm sure with time the issues will be addressed. The 7.3 is a good engine, trans. had some issues but there's plenty of aftermarket parts out there and plenty of good running 7.3's.

Fine69

Reaction score
Acid, Sierra Nevada, Rotella 5w-40 :D But seriously, a 6.0 isn't a bad choice. I know I'll probably be in the minority on this, but I remain unimpressed with the 6.4. The ones that I've driven felt doggy, one wouldn't start, and one had the notorious tick with about 50 miles on it. Although I'm sure with time the issues will be addressed. The 7.3 is a good engine, trans. had some issues but there's plenty of aftermarket parts out there and plenty of good running 7.3's.

You're not alone, the 6.4 I drove could barely get out of its own way!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
So it appears the 6.0s after 2003 are certainly ok, with the bugs worked out.

What diesels are Ford making now in their small trucks? I noticed in 2003 they seemed to make a 7.3 and 6.0, and later years they cut it done to one kind only (or so I thought). Is the 6.0 still in production?

Anyone know if Ford can determine what upgrades/recall fixes a truck has had on it if the VIN is reported to a dealer or central call line? Or any websites for such info? I haven't found any, yet.

I need to know what the problems were for each year and engine, to determine if the trucks I consider have been fixed or may have certain issues, for price considerations (and headaches as well).

Beginning with the 2008 line, the 6.4 is the only diesel option.

You can still get a 6.0 in the E-Series vans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58