What is your Fuel Economy?

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far i have 3000 miles on it, i've seen a best of 20.1 cruising 65 on the highway, averge around 15.4-16.5 mixed.

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine is just over 2 months old and about 4500 miles. It got up to 8.6 for about 3 days and now its stuck on 8.2. Hope DaveBen is right about break in milage. I am still too scared to pull my trailer or put it in 4X4.

Mike SVOR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I think I got this puppy figured out. I went to my buddy Hectors garage and got some of his new and improved diesel fuel (off road red fuel, old engine oil and 100ll avgas) that helped some but heres the big one. This is just for fellers with duals. Remove both out side rear tires. Wrap aluminum foil around exposed lugs. It cuts down on draft and friction. Should be joining the rest of yall thats getting inthe high teens. If this dont work the mirrors are coming off

WTF?
Tell me you're not seriously doing this on an 08. :doh:

Mike SVOR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Happy day today! MPG up to 8.4! 175o miles on it and almost a month old. I sure do miss my old 350.

Hey Batt,
You may have that model truck that requires a reflash of the computer. There was a couple Job1 builds that got stuck in tow/haul mode and required reflash to correct the gas milage issue.

I'm sure yours is outdated with that milage.

Go directly to dealer.
:)

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
I'll call and ask. My tow and haul does work. I did have it in the shop(not Hector's) and they couldn't find anything wrong.

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
I just turned 3500 miles. I filled up my tank and reset the fuel economy. While on the highway, I saw up to 19.6 on a 40 mile run. Now I have around 230 miles on this tank of fuel, and it keeps bouncing back and fourth between 15.8 and 16.3. That is mostly rush hour driving. I'll get back to you when I hit 5000 miles.

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
I have over 5000 miles on my truck now. I just towed an 8000 lb camper. This truck pulls like a horse. This truck pulled the camper much easier than my chipped 300HP 7.3L. The only problem was that my best fuel economy was 8.5 on the highway with perfect weather and no headwinds. This is very disappointing considering it didn't feel like the engine was working barely at all. My trans temp. gauge never went past half way. I dumped the camper off. My best fuel economy was 19.6. I have never owned a vehicle that lost so much fuel economy because of towing. I cant see this getting much better after I have over 10,000 miles. I hope you other guys can tell me you have had better luck, because if you are getting the same thing, ford has a very big problem. My chipped 7.3L on its worst day hauling over double that weight has never gone under 10 mpg. Does anyone have any good news for me?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It will get better Eddie. I have gotten 20.2 mpg and as bad as 12.6 , but not towing. I don't tow over long hauls, just locally.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58