What is your Fuel Economy?

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
Let me know what you did, I'll be experimenting with my truck too. One thing I noticed was that on the vacuum guage on the air filter housing, it was more than half way down, with a brand new air filter. It is starving for air. I am also talking to MBRP. the 5" exhaust will be available next week. they are also working on a straight pipe. if we are going to get this crappy fuel economy, I no longer need a particulate filter or a cat. a company is working on deleting regeneration mode from the computer. I'll talk more later

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I know there is a huge difference in these 08 trucks compared to 90's trucks, but I have noticed with larger gear ratios such as 4.88 or 5.13 that the fuel mileage stays constant in whatever you do. I have trucks with 460 gassers that get the same mileage towing as they do on their own. My portajohn pumper is a 97 F450, 460 gas with 4.63 rear gear. It gets 6-7 miles to the gallon driving with out trailer and fully loaded with 16 johnnies it gets 6-7 miles to the gallon.

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With at 3 bucks/gal I felt I didn't have much choice. Traded my 08 in for a new 07 550. My truck joins 3 other used 08's on the lot.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...ya know ive already noticed some 6.4's on the used gm lots...why in the world are they gettin such bad fuel mileage compared to the other two??

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know (i realize mines a cummins) but its takin me 50,000 miles just to see 15 mpg hwy...mines a 3'4 ton 4x4. i dont think your doin to bad...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
wow...ya know ive already noticed some 6.4's on the used gm lots...why in the world are they gettin such bad fuel mileage compared to the other two??

:roflmao :roflmao

i saw two gm duramaxs at my dealer today traded in on 08 ford chassis cab 450's :roflmao :roflmao

love them gm tailpipes , BAAAAZOOOKA :D :stir

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
:roflmao :roflmao

i saw two gm duramaxs at my dealer today traded in on 08 ford chassis cab 450's :roflmao :roflmao

love them gm tailpipes , BAAAAZOOOKA :D :stir

I was laughing my arse off when I saw that stupid spud gun. OMG that is the best they could make? I would rather have the Ford dual split.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
The F450 and F550 trucks are designed to haul an extreme amount of weight for their fairly small size. The GM 4500 and 5500 trucks haul the weight of a Ford and they are significantly larger. The fuel economy on GM 4500 and 5500 are probably close to that of a Ford if not worse. IMO the gear ratio being a 4.88 is what is not helping the fuel economy, but if you need to haul something the truck will handle anything you throw at it.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM 4500 and 5500 trucks haul the weight of a Ford and they are significantly larger.

Personally, I think that GM's design was a stupid move, to make the 4500 and 5500 identical to the larger trucks. But that's okay, it's to Ford's advantage I guess. Does anyone remember in 50's and 60's when Ford's F-500's through the F-750's cabs were identical to the F-100/250/350 cabs with the exception of larger fenders and running boards? It's a marketing strategy or "whatever floats their boats". Can you imagine the 450/550 cabs being similar to the 650/750 cabs? Sorry to get off the subject...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14