Question What's a good year for the PowerStroke?

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my (late) 99! That was the absolute best truck i ever owned. Such a well built truck. I had to replace the tranny at 126k (my fault, i like big chips) Other than that it was flawless. I beat it up day in an day out, and it always screamed for more! Its still going today. I see it every few weeks. A concrete company has it now :( Last i heard its got 215k with no other issues. O he put a stupid 6 inch lift on the truck and left the 35's and factory wheels on it. It looks terrible. Id give anything to get that truck back an fix it.

anyway. IMO 96 & 97 were best years for OBS.. 02 & 03 for the newer BS.

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
The 6 speed is Optional. Auto's are the Standard Equipment.

As for your 4wd questions ? like you.. I'm Old School also, so I'll Leave those answers to the New School guyz.......

6 speed trans are standard equipment on all Super Duty's except for the King Ranch and Harley edition pickups. Yet, while they are standard, you will have a VERY hard time finding one on a dealers lot. Look on Ford's website, you can build a Super Duty and see for yourself that automatics are an option.

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Actually, I will be purchasing my PSD through the auto auction, so therefore I will have a huge quanity to choose from... The Butler Auto Auction is a gigantic venue in which to window shop from and I will shop until I find the exact model.

So we are down to a late 99' or a 00' 7.3L, Six(6) Speed with a Manual Transfer Case.

Any preference in Cab Types and bed lengths?

Does the longer truck ride better? Are they able to tow larger payloads in longer configurations.

From what I gather, there are many folks on this website that like the crew cab over the extended or regualr cabs.

My choice for the moment would be an extended four door cab (not crew) w/an eight(8) foot bed, non dually, 4x4.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
standard cab can do amazing things with a trailer in tight places, however.......you, plus one, and a bag of chips and the cab is full. crew cab is like a bronco with a bed behind it, i want one but with a trailer it wont swing my driveway. my dad had 2 super cabs, they were OBS, the supurduty super cab is a bit bigger, and plenty of room in my opinion.

i think there was a road bounce issue with the crew cab long beds, or maybe it was another wheelbase, someone will chime in with more info i hope.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I'm a little partial to the CrewCab Shortbed, but a longbed would be nice too.

If you can deal with the decreased turning radius, the crewcab is the way to go, especially if you have or are planning on having kids. Carseats don't do to well in the ext. cab trucks, it's tight quarters for getting the kiddo strapped in.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 speed trans are standard equipment on all Super Duty's except for the King Ranch and Harley edition pickups. Yet, while they are standard, you will have a VERY hard time finding one on a dealers lot. Look on Ford's website, you can build a Super Duty and see for yourself that automatics are an option.

;tu

I stand.. Mis-understood (?)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kids here, not at 48... and God forbid if I do a slip up, now :dizzy

:lmao:lmao

It all depends on yer needs, based on what yer guna do with the truck you choose.

All the wheel bases have their good & bad points.

I like the X cab, DRW. 80% of the time I carry 2 peopole in the cab. But, I tow a 12k pound 5th wheel. plenty of room for 2, (and our pets) with the occational 1 or 2 more peopole, but it's tight. It's manuverable, real good ride with plenty of GVWR and power.

Again, it's your choice, based on needs.

Joe

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
No increase in GVWR however since the CC weighs more you have less to give to your payload. I would go with an Extended Cab. Bed length is all on what you plan to do with the truck. Bumper pulling: short bed. 5'er long bed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58