White smoke and no cleaning filter message

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have 2 6.4L's one with 50k and mine with 80k. The both recently had their computers re-programed, which changed the display from saying regen durring the whole regen process, to just flashing it for a few seconds at the beginning. On a side note, I've noticed that the lesser milage one has alot of black soot in the tail pipe, where as my 80k has none at all, and he has been reporting alot of regen, were I am not as much. :rolleyes:

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of things add up to more regens, extended cold idle up, heavy foot with cold engine, heavy foot period, poor quality oil, poor quality fuel, dirty air filter, idling all day....but black soot on an emissions complete truck is not a good sign. That tail pipe should be clean.

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah that black soot doesn't seem right to me. I just pressure washed the tail pipe, so well see in a few days...then it should probobly get to the shop.

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya if it's still under warentee take r back, I'd say the DPF has fallen a part and that's why your getting soot at the tail pipe.

To buy one out right and new your lookin at around 4K US, but if you dig around there are lots that have been pulled and are just bout given away, so look around.

ducky1402

Reaction score
dealer said black soot in mine and my inlaws was fine and nothing was wrong when we took them in.......

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try changing where you get your fuel.

I'm up in Canada and Petro Canada makes Diesel Max, the extra 7 cents a liter well worth it. Smoother starts in the cold, less engine noise .....I don't go south so I don't know what would be the comparable but cheapo fuel is cheap for a reason. My 2c.

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wish I could choose were to fill up...unfortunatly, we use fuel cards for the Stop N Go stores around here...so only 1 choice of fuel...suck.

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you but centane boaster on that card? If you can just get the boaster not the water separator + pump lube + breakfast replacement BS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr