White smoke and no cleaning filter message

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well we just keep a bottle in the truck all the time, but the fuel we use is just a winter blend, no 1 or 2 option, so you don't really know what level of #1 your getting. Guess thats ok, just put plently of booster lube in it.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has started to be a heavy white smoker today. Motor sounds like it went to regen but no message. Lots of white smoke. I think I need to plug in and trip the DPF cleaning and go on a beat run. See if that helps. Any Ideas Bigboytoys. Did you go in from a smoking problem?

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had similar "white smoke screen" problems on my 2009. The Dealer diagnosed it as a "bad charge air cooler" and replaced it IAW TSB 11-2-2. The Master Tech also told me the 6.4 is somewhat finicky regarding fuel quality. Unlike the 7.3, and to a lesser degree, the 6.0 which will run pretty happily on just about anything that will burn; the 6.4 really likes a steady diet of high quality, high cetane fuel. He equated the 6.4 to the engines in the old muscle cars that demanded "premium" fuel.

I am now running Murphy USA (Wal-Mart) or CountryMark Diesel R fuel along with Opti-Lube diesel fuel additive in every tank (includes cetane booster). No more "smoke screens", soot in the exhaust pipe is gone, mileage is fairly consistent at 15 mpg in city and 17-18 mpg on highway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64