Help Needed White smoke out the tailpipe and loud knocking

JRJ04

Reaction score
there's not much wiggle on one of Jody's chips.. they generally either sit on there right or they won't go on at all.

we shall find out...i emailed jody some pics and asked him about it.

still no update on the truck, the dealership was loaded today. i really like the guy im working with. hopefully tomorrow morning i'll know more.

thanks again guys.

JRJ04

Reaction score
An Update

Well the truck made it to the dealership and it turned out to be 3 bad injectors. The white smoke turned out to be fuel dumping in the cylinder...not coolant like I thought. So they replaced them, cranked it up and no more knocking! Of course, they had to change the oil, and fuel filter because oil and diesel mixed.

They said it runs smooth...I dont agree. I can go stand by the tailpipe and I hear a sputter. And its not the normal sputter you hear...its pronounced almost drowns out the turbo. This really just worries me still. I've got a sneaking suspicion that a rod is slightly bent, not bad enough for it to lock up completely, but bad enough to cause running issues.

I would assume air gets in the system when youve got all of it taken apart. Could this be the case and it just needs time to work its way out? If the motor is shot...theres no way im sinking anymore money into it (the bill was 2200 by the way). I'll sell it and find a good used 6.0.

What do you guys think?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay with it for awhile JR, It may take a tank or so of run time to get the air out of the fuel system.

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
GOOD!!! That is reassuring to hear. Do you think air in the fuel/oil system could cause it to sound the way it does? Can it really take that long to get all the air out? Could this be why I might not be seeing as much power as I think it should have too? I talked to my uncle and he seemed to think that air should purge out pretty quickly (But then again he drives a dodge so what does he know?:lmao) I can stand next to the tailpipe and theres a steady sound...I dont know how to type it, but you know what im getting at.

If there were a bent rod, would there be a pretty noticeable knocking? Could the engine still run with a bent rod or anything else bent thats mechanical?

dpantazis

Reaction score
J:

stop thinking. just drive the thing. buy a lottery ticket already. heck, i'll send you $3 to buy me 2 and to cover the postage to send them too me.

you probably have cackle and it will work itself out after a while. it sounds like a rattle. google "powerstroke cackle" and you will find audio files of it. on second thought, don;t. i don't want to give you any more things to worry about.

you probably have powdered metal rods in your truck. 2002 is near the cut off date for them. they don't bend like forged rods do. when they go, they shrapnel. complete breaks, little bending. fogeddaboutit. don't even think the rods because you are not build a 400+hp monster.

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD!!! Do you think air in the fuel/oil system could cause it to sound the way it does?

Yes, The fuel system on these PSDs have, from the factory, many places that allow Air to get in the system.... let alone opening the system Up during repairs.

Can it really take that long to get all the air out?

Yes

Could this be why I might not be seeing as much power as I think it should have too?

Yes, when an injector "Pops", if there's air in the fuel, the spray pattern is not to spec. loss of effective pattern= loss of power.

I talked to my uncle and he seemed to think that air should purge out pretty quickly (But then again he drives a dodge so what does he know?:lmao)

I would never make a comment about a mans family. ;)

I can stand next to the tailpipe and theres a steady sound...I dont know how to type it, but you know what im getting at.

Stop standing by the Tail Pipe JR, and you won't hear things anymore ;)

If there were a bent rod, would there be a pretty noticeable knocking? Could the engine still run with a bent rod or anything else bent thats mechanical?

If you had a bent rod, yer motor would have Grenaded already, and we'd be reading about how many Hefty Bags it took to clean up the mess.

What dp sez.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
J:

stop thinking. just drive the thing. buy a lottery ticket already. heck, i'll send you $3 to buy me 2 and to cover the postage to send them too me.

you probably have cackle and it will work itself out after a while. it sounds like a rattle. google "powerstroke cackle" and you will find audio files of it. on second thought, don;t. i don't want to give you any more things to worry about.

you probably have powdered metal rods in your truck. 2002 is near the cut off date for them. they don't bend like forged rods do. when they go, they shrapnel. complete breaks, little bending. fogeddaboutit. don't even think the rods because you are not build a 400+hp monster.

dp

ya know...i gotta go and get that ticket. i keep forgetting about it and everytime i see this it reminds me to go and do it. I guess you guys have figured out...i'm a worrier! At 23 yrs old, i dont have a whole lot to worry about and my truck just means the world to me. All i can say is thank the big guy in the sky ive got a college degree that got me a good job so that i can pay for this mess.

I sure hope its just a cackle that needs to work its way out. Thats encouraging to hear about the rods...at least there wont be a guessing game wtih those. I also cant seem to hear the turbo whistle as much through the exhaust. I'm guessing that could be due to the cackle...hopefully it will quiet down. I dont have reason to believe that there is turbo/boost related issues because I can put it to the floor and pull 16-17 lbs of boost (no chip) and it will stay there. If there were a problem I think I would see a flutter in the boost gauge. I guess all there is to do is drive it and wait!

Thanks guys.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ya know...i gotta go and get that ticket. i keep forgetting about it and everytime i see this it reminds me to go and do it. I guess you guys have figured out...i'm a worrier! At 23 yrs old, i dont have a whole lot to worry about and my truck just means the world to me. All i can say is thank the big guy in the sky ive got a college degree that got me a good job so that i can pay for this mess.

I sure hope its just a cackle that needs to work its way out. Thats encouraging to hear about the rods...at least there wont be a guessing game wtih those. I also cant seem to hear the turbo whistle as much through the exhaust. I'm guessing that could be due to the cackle...hopefully it will quiet down. I dont have reason to believe that there is turbo/boost related issues because I can put it to the floor and pull 16-17 lbs of boost (no chip) and it will stay there. If there were a problem I think I would see a flutter in the boost gauge. I guess all there is to do is drive it and wait!

Thanks guys.

GLOOM, DESPAIR AND AGONY ON ME
From the TV Show "Hee-Haw" (1969 -1992)

Buck Owens & Roy Clark

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Dude, go buy a five dollar cigar, a lottery ticket, & a bottle of Jim Beam Select (aka Beam Black Label)

and sit back & enjoy.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries Jourdan.

Have you done any of the in-tank or fuel pump fitting Mods ??

If you havent.. you might think about doing them. THEY in combination due Great Things about air In The Fuel issues. One at a time works too.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim