Question Wiring a new compressor

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I have a shop that is wired for 3 phase power to the box. But I dont have the money to run the 3 phase 180' to the other end of the shop right now, So is there away to wire the motor from 480 to 230 and do it to a 2 phase set up. I have 2 phase down there now. Was going to run the other wire down there but the conduit wont take it so I have to run new everything.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you just leave one of the hot wires off?? Thats what we do when we wire from 220v 3 phase phase feed rail to 2 phase 110v motor.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You guys have the terminology a bit wrong here. 3 Phase is fine, but there is no 2 Phase. Only Single Phase and 3 phase. I am not getting down on you guys, but there will be a test in five minutes. Study hard.

Dave :D

dpantazis

Reaction score
dogman-

yes, you can run a 3 phase motor on single (two phase) power. you need a phase converter. but for the compressor that starts and stops constantly, its not going to be much help, easy or cheap to build an automatic starter circuit. look in the sticky on this page for designs. i have built a couple and like the fitch williams design.

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

how big a compressor motor?

you realize that to southern engineer any of these things, you are going to be spending some money, and probably as much as it would cost you to either run wire or run systems piping or hose to get it to there.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have the terminology a bit wrong here. 3 Phase is fine, but there is no 2 Phase. Only Single Phase and 3 phase. I am not getting down on you guys, but there will be a test in five minutes. Study hard.

Dave :D

Dave, I have worked in several sewing factories that have the whole floor lined with sewing machines that run off of 3 phase power. Some sewing machines however have a tag on it that will say "2 phase" and "110v". So I leave one hot wire off the plug, that runs up to the 3 phase powered feed rail, and the machine gets 2 phase 110v power. If you read the following article you will see why it is used in the sewing industry. Many machines are automated and require stepper motors, plc's (programmable logic computer), and on-board computers. 2 phase is not a very popular with common household or shop hardware.

2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dogman-

yes, you can run a 3 phase motor on single (two phase) power. you need a phase converter. but for the compressor that starts and stops constantly, its not going to be much help, easy or cheap to build an automatic starter circuit. look in the sticky on this page for designs. i have built a couple and like the fitch williams design.

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

how big a compressor motor?

you realize that to southern engineer any of these things, you are going to be spending some money, and probably as much as it would cost you to either run wire or run systems piping or hose to get it to there.

I agree with DP....either way its going to cost more money.

My dad has his compressor running off a 3 phase converter...and he has been running the same converter with the same compressor for the past 15yrs. He only turns the converter on when he needs to use the machine mill or compressor.

I would run the 3 phase power before buying the converter though because the line will outlast the converter and be less maintanence...imo

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Dave, I have worked in several sewing factories that have the whole floor lined with sewing machines that run off of 3 phase power. Some sewing machines however have a tag on it that will say "2 phase" and "110v". So I leave one hot wire off the plug, that runs up to the 3 phase powered feed rail, and the machine gets 2 phase 110v power. If you read the following article you will see why it is used in the sewing industry. Many machines are automated and require stepper motors, plc's (programmable logic computer), and on-board computers. 2 phase is not a very popular with common household or shop hardware.

2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions

I have done that too. I am not arguing the terminology, just reporting what Google came up with in "Power Phases" search. Call it what you like, still expensive.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done that too. I am not arguing the terminology, just reporting what Google came up with in "Power Phases" search. Call it what you like, still expensive.

Dave

Ok...I thought you was saying that there was no such thing as 2 phase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14