Question Wiring a new compressor

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the Wiki definition, you'll notice it says in the early 20th Century there was 2 phase power. Electrical Distribution has come a LONG way since then. They also used to use DC power in homes. Long story short, today we only use single phase, 120/240 VAC systems. Common in all residential wiring, and 3 phase systems which are mainly used in commercial and industrial settings. Common voltages are 120/208 and 277/480 VAC. Now we can also get into Delta and Wye systems. Delta systems are mainly used in Industrial systems where a Neutral Conductor isn't needed. Common Delta Voltages are 220 and 480. To get back on track, glad the OP was able to get his compressor working. Sorry if I sound like an Electrical Snob, but I've spent quite a few years learning what I do. Wiring isn't a Hobby.

No its not a hobby lol....my hear starts racing every time I work with feedrail.

Is there any way that you could get 2 phase from 3 phase? One of those links shows modern stepper motors that do use 2 phase power. I've been working with stepper motors for a while now and have never given any attention to the power it uses.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got looking at the compressor wiring and something Fine69 posted tripped light switch on so I got looking harder at the compressor and it looks to be wired for a Delta systems witch would make sents being it's coming from a really large plant.

So the question is can something wired for a delta system be used in a standard 3 phase wired building or do I have to run the 3 hot wires and the neutral and ground?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get us a good picture of the data plate, it'll have all of the information that we need on wiring the motor... I might be able to find the mfg wiring info on the net with the make & model number.

dpantazis

Reaction score
looks like a standard dual votlage wye motor to me. its a plain jane baldor 184T frame motor. 9 wire motor. pics on page 2. i'd think that the wiring plate would have been changed out if it was different.

in low voltage, L3:3-9, L2:8-2, L1:7-1, 6-5-4.

maybe i am seeing things right being overtired. ymmv.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
No its not a hobby lol....my hear starts racing every time I work with feedrail.

Is there any way that you could get 2 phase from 3 phase? One of those links shows modern stepper motors that do use 2 phase power. I've been working with stepper motors for a while now and have never given any attention to the power it uses.

I think you need a convertor

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dennis, the next time you're up here, (hopefully soon, Skania are hitting at the dam), we're gonna look over some stuff here at the crib and you're gonna drink a lot of beer..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a standard dual votlage wye motor to me. its a plain jane baldor 184T frame motor. 9 wire motor. pics on page 2. i'd think that the wiring plate would have been changed out if it was different.

in low voltage, L3:3-9, L2:8-2, L1:7-1, 6-5-4.

maybe i am seeing things right being overtired. ymmv.

Duh maybe I should actually look back for the pictures before I ask for them. And you just need to wire it up and you'll be good. you have the wiring diagram, I would love to have 3 phase power but not going to happen were I'm at now so I'm building my collection of single phase toys.

dpantazis

Reaction score
JLD- can do!

Brandon- look at the link that I gave for PM. converters can be built cheap if you scrounge. i have one in the basement and one in the garage to run 3ph toys.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLD- can do!

Brandon- look at the link that I gave for PM. converters can be built cheap if you scrounge. i have one in the basement and one in the garage to run 3ph toys.

I already have a 5 hp 3ph motor that I can us for the converter but the real truth is I don't have room for the toys right now. or at least that's what I've convinced myself.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duh maybe I should actually look back for the pictures before I ask for them. And you just need to wire it up and you'll be good. you have the wiring diagram, I would love to have 3 phase power but not going to happen were I'm at now so I'm building my collection of single phase toys.

The shop was wired years ago for 3 phase just have not needed it till now. As soon as I get my truck back, the shop I'll be building at the house will be set up to with 3 phase too. I have it to the poll in the yard now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14