Question Wiring a new compressor

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to have the shop 3 phase run over to the other side, the electrician said I would be a snap and cost about 350 bucks so it's a no brainier. I did some checking on the compressor this bad boy holding a tank psi of 450 pounds. Thats what the presser switch is set at now. I'm going to have to back this bad boy down. What do you guy think 200 to 250 psi or lower like 125 to 175 psi?

dpantazis

Reaction score
you sure about the 450 reading? is the gauge good?

what does the manufacturer set the holding pressure to?

if in doubt, check the tank for a stamp in the metal stating complies with asme code and rated psi.

do you NEED anything over 125?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well I'm going to have the shop 3 phase run over to the other side, the electrician said I would be a snap and cost about 350 bucks so it's a no brainier. I did some checking on the compressor this bad boy holding a tank psi of 450 pounds. Thats what the presser switch is set at now. I'm going to have to back this bad boy down. What do you guy think 200 to 250 psi or lower like 125 to 175 psi?

at work ours are set to like 150psi

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sure about the 450 reading? is the gauge good?

what does the manufacturer set the holding pressure to?

if in doubt, check the tank for a stamp in the metal stating complies with asme code and rated psi.

do you NEED anything over 125?

I called the manufacturer and asked and after the run a round 450 psi is what was set from the plant. I have never seen one so high so, I'm going to run with the 150 to 175 psi.

I got the compressor from a ball container plant that was shutting down here. I got a mess of thing for almost nothing. 4 air power 1 ton chain falls, 1 220v 3 ton chain fall with power track, a high boom forklift another compressor, tools. This was all stuff they were going to junk. Go figer....:dunno

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
Lets try it this way.... streight from the big power box.

phase 1 phase 2 phase 3 neutral ground
Leg (1) leg(2) leg (3)
120 V 240 V 120 V
all three total 480 V

That's not even close to correct! One leg or Phase of 480 volts is 277Volts to ground. I'm a Certified Journeyman Electrician. There also is no such thing as 2 phase power. Its Single phase and 3 phase. End of story.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not even close to correct! One leg or Phase of 480 volts is 277Volts to ground. I'm a Certified Journeyman Electrician. There also is no such thing as 2 phase power. Its Single phase and 3 phase. End of story.

Not saying you're wrong...just trying to learn.

Why do these articles talk about 2 phase systems...
2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions

Two-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 phase electric stepper motors - ORIENTAL-MOTOR - Synchronous electric motor: Stepper motor

I have had several sewing machine that the tag on the motor would say 2 phase...so I would leave one hot wire off the plug (the wire coming from the machine was one wire short anyways for the 3 phase system).

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Dave

Fine69

Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong...just trying to learn.

Why do these articles talk about 2 phase systems...
2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions

Two-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 phase electric stepper motors - ORIENTAL-MOTOR - Synchronous electric motor: Stepper motor

I have had several sewing machine that the tag on the motor would say 2 phase...so I would leave one hot wire off the plug (the wire coming from the machine was one wire short anyways for the 3 phase system).

If you look at the Wiki definition, you'll notice it says in the early 20th Century there was 2 phase power. Electrical Distribution has come a LONG way since then. They also used to use DC power in homes. Long story short, today we only use single phase, 120/240 VAC systems. Common in all residential wiring, and 3 phase systems which are mainly used in commercial and industrial settings. Common voltages are 120/208 and 277/480 VAC. Now we can also get into Delta and Wye systems. Delta systems are mainly used in Industrial systems where a Neutral Conductor isn't needed. Common Delta Voltages are 220 and 480. To get back on track, glad the OP was able to get his compressor working. Sorry if I sound like an Electrical Snob, but I've spent quite a few years learning what I do. Wiring isn't a Hobby.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14