Help Needed Won't start. Using auto enginuity

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Wife came and got me. I'm at home truck is at my job. What I have decided is; if its the FICM I'll have it towed to Ford. If its the cam and or crank sensors I'll do them myself. Looking at the data I posted last,

It looks like either the cam pos. sensor or crank pos. sensor is likely bad. My guess is that the CKP sensor is likely bad since the cmp ckp sync appears bad ("1" in red). Which would make the FICM info for sync (1 in red) bad. But the Cam Position sensor failure test read a "0" in green. Which would point to the CKP sensor as being bad. Does this logic make sense to others.

I'm not real happy that the AE program doesn't make clear what is a bad or failed reading. I'm assuming that any value presented in RED is bad. Green is good. I've got all day to try to figure this out. However the truck is 30 min away. If I get some more good ideas to check( I already have 1, to try to find a CKM failure test,) I'll drive back out to the truck and run the test again.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
ATK, specifically what fuses and where would they be located. When I go back out later. I'm going to check for wire chafing, and any fuses you suggest Actually it was late last night before I even figured out where the FICM is. My chilton's manual "SUCKS" it doesn't even mention the FICM. I still can't believe I paid good money for that thing.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
The cranking 2000 psi was with the engine cold, its 35F and raining outside as I write this. I'll try to remember to check it again later. I'm thinking that the "injector control pressure" is the HPOP? And that was a max reading after extended cranking, on a 60 amp battery charger.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
I have not seen codes, 2614 or 2617, which would indicate a wire chaffing issue. I realize it still could be. I will check later.

atk

Reaction score
there is a small fuse panel on top of the left inner fender(remove cover). there will will be a couple of relays with some fuses, check there....also below steering column, remove access panel and your main fuse panel will be there. check all fuses.....if you are checking the wiring, make sure you check all eletrical connector(going to engine) for bad connection`s....check your ground wires....hope this helps....good luck

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
HPOP = High Pressure Oil Pump. You have good cranking pressure, leave the injectors and fuel system alone until you get the CMP and CKP figured out. WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE???? Fill out your signature so we can help you better.

Dave

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Dave, what do you think about the CMP failure reading along with the CMP CKP sync failure reading, does that point to the CKP as being bad? What is the likelyhood that the timing gears went south.

I'm normally a pretty good mechanic. With gas engines, this is my first diesel. But these electronics have me pulling my hair out.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
The cranking 2000 psi was with the engine cold, its 35F and raining outside as I write this. I'll try to remember to check it again later. I'm thinking that the "injector control pressure" is the HPOP? And that was a max reading after extended cranking, on a 60 amp battery charger.

still seems high even with extended cranking even on a cold engine at that temp(carefull doing extended cranking, will burn your starter up). the ICP measures oil psi that high pressure oil pump(HPOP) put`s out....

atk

Reaction score
HPOP = High Pressure Oil Pump. You have good cranking pressure, leave the injectors and fuel system alone until you get the CMP and CKP figured out. WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE???? Fill out your signature so we can help you better.

Dave

has a 6.0l....read the original post

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58