Help Needed Work truck is down! Need help asap please!

ridndirty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95bamastroked, thats awesome that you figured it out, I remember how good it felt when my truck fired up after a couple of days chasing my tail around the shop. I think Tbar is right though, you should pull your tank (or tanks) they must be full of dirt too. In the near future I want to install an inline filter with a glass cover so I can see a potential problem before it happens.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to hijack, but i too, want to install a filter inline pre pump. I will be doing the hutch mod shortly, and want to install a extra filter under the truck. Whats a good one thats inexpensive and will flow enough. I am going to leave the fuel pump stock and also leave all factory fuel filter and all lines after the pump alone?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to hijack, but i too, want to install a filter inline pre pump. I will be doing the hutch mod shortly, and want to install a extra filter under the truck. Whats a good one thats inexpensive and will flow enough. I am going to leave the fuel pump stock and also leave all factory fuel filter and all lines after the pump alone?

Fer $160 bucks or so you can get a Dahl 100 setup, with all the pieces, parts & fittings to do the install.. from www.dieselsite.com or you can save acouplea dollars (maybe) by round'n up all the parts from local Parts Places ??

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I want to do to this truck: install an extra in-line filter. I will have to research for more info because I had done that to my red 95 for about $95 and all parts were from napa. It worked slick, still had full flow and the filter also had a petcock on the bottom for checking for water. Nice setup and inexpensive for peace of mind.

Oh yeah and I drove the "fixed" truck for 2 days and she is back down. This time I know what the problem is: There are 2 fuel lines that come off the bottom of the FPR. 1 goes to each head. 1 of those lines burst and started spraying fuel everywhere!! It is parked at the local water company till wed. morning when I can pickup the fuel hoses that I had to order.

I think this truck hates me! Heh, actually it is me having to fix someone else's abuse! That is aggravating and worse yet!

Daniel

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Found the inline filter setup!!

I had to search my old posts but I found it! Tailgunner actually helped me out on this one. Here is the post:

"It is mounted on the outside frame rail with enough washers stacked to stand off the mounting bracket enough where the parking brake cable passes between without touching bracket or filter. I have it plumbed between the tank & pump so it removes any crud from the tank before it gets to and trashes the pump.

Wix 33418 fuel filter/water separator
mounting base
pipe thread hose fittings to fit base
diesel safe 3/8" fuel hose
hose clamps
mounting hdwre

The Wix number can be crossed to Napa. Car Quest etc.

BTW: Fill the filter with fuel before installing it to the base. Priming the pump with a dry filter is a major biatch.

On edit: The Wix number for the mounting base is 24309, again crossable to Napa, Car Quest etc."

Again, this is from Tailgunner so he gets the credit for this nice mod. I just saved it and am passing it on to help out. This is what I will be doing again for this truck! I liked the setup and it's nice with the drain valve on the bottom as well!

Daniel

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did it restrict flow cause the pumps bush better then they suck. Still use a stock pump? how often did you change the filter?
thx

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I used the stock pump, it didn't seem to restrict flow( I drive my trucks like I stole 'em!), and I didn't have that filter setup on the truck long enough to determine a time frame of how long before the filter had to be changed.(that truck got totaled for me).

Other than not using it long, it was still a sweet set up for peace of mind knowing that the fuel coming out of the tanks had already been filtered once before it ever hit the pump! And after what I have found in the fuel bowls of 2 trucks now, that peace of mind is worth alot now.

Daniel

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OBS truck did not have a fuel pump in tank pushing thru the filter? My pump is on the frame under drivers door. I have no help pushing fuel. The electric one is all i have have. Was yours that way? I know the obs has a fuel pump in the lifter valley. I was not sure if you hadpusher pumps in the tank. I am curious if my pump is strong enough suction to pull it thru the filter. If so i will get one.

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95-97 OBS trucks had the "lift pump" as they were commonly called as well, on top of the motor in the valley. There isn't an electric fuel pump in the tank(s) that I know of.

When I replaced one of my tanks on my 95'(totaled), there was a "sending unit" in the tank that had a pickup tube and a boot with a screen on the end of the boot. I got a price from the stealership for the sending unit because the boot and screen were split and had come apart. They said that the boot and screen assembly were not sold separately and that I would have to buy the unit as a whole for over $370! That is what prompted me to put an inline filter system on that truck.

Guys, chime in and correct me if I am wrong on this pump in the tank question. :dunno I will be the first to admit that I am wrong on these trucks since I am still trying to learn the basics of these trucks, let alone know as much as some of the guys here on the boards.:notworthy

I did go back through some of my posts from last year and checked on Tail_gunners truck. He has an early '99 with this filter setup on his and he doesn't have anything special listed to use it. He does have the "hutch" in-the-tank mod listed though and I don't know what kind of mod that is.

Anyway, hope this info helps and good luck if you decide to go with that filter setup!

Daniel

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My fuel lines came in on Wed., and it poured and stormed all day! So, on Thursday I was able to get the fuel lines replaced and finally have my truck running like a champ!:thumbs

The 2 fuel lines weren't bad to change, other than having to take half the front off the motor to get to the other end of the hose on the drivers side head! The air compressor, and the complete mounting bracket for the compressor had to come loose to get to it. All said and done, about 2 1/2 hours and she popped right off.:sweet

Oh yeah, and the stealership got $120 for these 2 lines!:eek: Oh well, can't save money all the time! Heh

Daniel

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58