WVO

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Is anybody cutting WVO with diesel and putting it straight in the tank? If so, what are you running for a percentage? 50-50??? I know this would be something that I could only do during warm weather..... but I am just looking at easing the fuel costs this summer.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the summer, I've been pouring up to 1-gal of store bought veg oil right into a full tank of fuel. Only do it when the oil is on sale/cheap.

Cant wait to get home and actually have somewhere to setup a filter/processor and start making bio-d or running wvo.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck? no noticeable difference, however my fuel mileage jumped after about the second time I did that. No other changes were done at the time. Lubricity? I dont know. What I do know, is everyone who has run a light mix of WVO or Bio-diesel have ALL reported GOOD THINGS. The powerstroke *LIKES* veg oil apparently.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I really think that I could get away with 10 gallons in a 20 gallon tank real easy (in warm weather). For the cost of a pump and filter set up to collect with, I can scavange up a couple of drums to store oil in, I could feasably cut my fuel bills in half........

Northern Tools carries a couple of pumps that would suffice. Option 1

Option 2

And some type of filter setup and I think you'd be good to go.......

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What works well and is usually free is waste vegtable oil... go to the local Chinese resturaunt and inquire about collecting oil from them. They for the most part are having to pay a removal fee for it. They are usually glad to give it to you. They use a higher qualtiy oil and change it a little more frequently than say your local big chain fast food joint.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run as high as 75% but from what I've heard once you get above about 50% your power levels begin dropping off if you don't heat the oil before you inject it due to the viscocity of the oil at the cooler temperatures.

If your using waste veg oil It's highy recommended to filter it finer than the stock filter before you add it to your tank otherwise you're going to be going through filters left and right. Or the other option is to add a secondary filter to the system to either prefilter or in addition to the stock fliter.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Good info BJS, I've seen the heated filters for adding inline, I wonder how hot they get the oil/fuel?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58