WVO

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Those with OBS trucks that have dual tanks could easily heat one and use it for WVO and then use the other for #2. There are a few trucks out there that are running this way or have a separate tank mounted on the truck someplace. You start up on #2 and when the veggie gets warm enough (around 170*) you switch over. You can use coolant to warm the oil. There are a few places where you can buy heat exchangers. You will want to filter the oil down to 10 micron or less. The lower the better. I am filtering my bio diesel down to 5 microns using a $9 Napa filter. I will try to post the part numbers tomorrow.

Scott

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure how hot the inline filters get the oil in and of themselves I haven't seen anyone running just one of those for heating pure vegie oil but I'm sure it would allow you to run a higher mix of oil & diesel w/o any power loss

You want your vegie around 170°F to get the viscocity down, Like sagebel said most will heat it in the tanks as well with some form of heating coil using the engine for a heat source. You can also run a hose in hose setup with the inner hose carrying veg oil and the outer hose carrying engine coolant to provide the heat as it is going to the engine. The key to heating the tank is that your whole tank does not need to be at 170 only the area where your pickup is actually located.

Sagebel also pointed out the advantage of the OBS trucks in that we have 2 fuel tanks though galvanized tanks do not respond well to waste vegie oil as the oil tends to react with the galvanized metal and copper has been known to have problems.

These problems are not constant which leads me to believe that it is related to pH change or other caustic byproduct of being cooked in that will still pass through the filters.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
say if you ran a 50/50 mix of WVO how cold can it get and not have to worry about it getting constipated?

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
Seeking Political Assylum in Central Texas!
BJS said:
These problems are not constant which leads me to believe that it is related to pH change or other caustic byproduct of being cooked in that will still pass through the filters.

Remember, waste oil is acidic. The more food is cooked in it, the more acidic it gets. This is why you have to do a pH titration test before converting WVO to biodiesel.

Acids are not removed by filters. :dunno

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You may be able to find a replacement poly or SS tank. I have heard that 50/50 should be good above 45*F but have never done it myself. Us SD guys already have a poly tank the only problem is there is only one.

Scott

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
I can see The cashier at sams is gonna give me a funny look when I leave with 50 gallons of veg oil..>LOL... Then come back in 2 weeks for more...LOL

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, new oil is spendy. I only run new oil when its on sale/closeout/bulk. Occasionally I'll buy a 1/2 gallon just to dump in the tank as an additive.

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
Rumor has it 5 gallon jugs are 6 bucks there? ( at sams)

Does it matter if its extra virgin oil? LMAO JK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58