XM radio

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Norcal250 said:
-mad I'm still trying to find out how to route my Sirius antenna in my van... too short to go all the way to the back, and I don't know if I want to route the wire outta one of one of the front doors..:dunno Luckily I haven't activated an account yet
Best way I've found to route the antenna lead is from the dash up the A pillar and go to the rear above the headliner along the left or right side,then I'll assume just above the vans rear doors there'll be a black rubber plug or two that the wire can feed thru then put a dab of silicone sealant,then place the magnet mount antenna just forward of the top third lamp.
I can upload some photos of my antenna install if it'll help some Marco since we have similar vehicles:sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Marco, have you tried placing the antenna in the dash? I know of a lot of people who use the dash for the Satellite antenna. I have never tried it. Mine is on the back window. You can see it in my pictures.

Dave :)

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
with the recent reports of their financial trouble Im hesitant to get one. Im concerned they could fold and I would be stuck with an expensive paper weight.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
with the recent reports of their financial trouble Im hesitant to get one. Im concerned they could fold and I would be stuck with an expensive paper weight.

if youre not too sure, do what I did and find a unit on closeout. Mine was only $16 for the system with the car kit.

I doubt that either company will fold. if anything, they might merge?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ya'll have my word neither Sirius nor XM is going anywhere and the rumors of a merger I believe that'll never happen,well during my lifetime:D

dpantazis

Reaction score
Winshield

Marco-

On my truck and on a friend's E350, we put the antenna centered on the roof at the windshield.

Using our fingers, pried up the windshield weatherstripping to tuck the wire under and pushed it under further with a piece of scrap laminate (thin, strong, no scratches to paint) so the rubber would re-seal to the body.

ran it under the weatherstripping around to the bottom corner of the windshield and then UNDER the black pastic cowl. Unscrewing a coulpe of the screws allows us enough clearance to fish it through.

Once under the cowl, it was easy to fish it into the engine compartment. Then its pretty much pick your route to get through the firewall into the cabin. I used a plastic bung under the steering column and master cylinder.

As far as mergin/folding i don;t think its going to happen. Two fundamentaly different programming styles between Sirius and XM. I personally like the Sirius music channels and their programing better. I also prefer the pricing structure of Sirius better.

dennis

Norcal250

Gimp member
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
Marco-

On my truck and on a friend's E350, we put the antenna centered on the roof at the windshield.

Using our fingers, pried up the windshield weatherstripping to tuck the wire under and pushed it under further with a piece of scrap laminate (thin, strong, no scratches to paint) so the rubber would re-seal to the body.

ran it under the weatherstripping around to the bottom corner of the windshield and then UNDER the black pastic cowl. Unscrewing a coulpe of the screws allows us enough clearance to fish it through.

Once under the cowl, it was easy to fish it into the engine compartment. Then its pretty much pick your route to get through the firewall into the cabin. I used a plastic bung under the steering column and master cylinder.

As far as mergin/folding i don;t think its going to happen. Two fundamentaly different programming styles between Sirius and XM. I personally like the Sirius music channels and their programing better. I also prefer the pricing structure of Sirius better.

dennis

Thanks for your help... I'm gonna round up some friends to try this out...

as for merging... no way... I've heard alot of bad things about XM... (bad reception, not enough channels , possible bankruptcy) and nothing but good about Sirius... as long as Howard Stern is on Sirius, its not going anywhere

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I know that on March 6th XM foolishly dropped the audio bitrate over satellite from 49 kbps to 40 kbps which has made the audio quality very mono-ish or sounds like total junk which is not what I got it for. Now if the bitrate is higher for Sirius which makes the quality much better I may sign up with them in June as my XM contract is up then.

I have Sirius with Dish Network and if their music sound quality is the same over satellite I'm there:sweet

Fav channel on XM is Big Tracks
Fav channel on Siri is Octane

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Howard Stern is all PO'd with his fans for not following him over to Sirius. He has about 2 million listeners and he wants 20 million. Come on Howard.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64