XM radio

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I know that on March 6th XM foolishly dropped the audio bitrate over satellite from 49 kbps to 40 kbps which has made the audio quality very mono-ish or sounds like total junk which is not what I got it for. Now if the bitrate is higher for Sirius which makes the quality much better I may sign up with them in June as my XM contract is up then.

I have Sirius with Dish Network and if their music sound quality is the same over satellite I'm there:sweet

Fav channel on XM is Big Tracks
Fav channel on Siri is Octane

Howard Stern Lashes out at fans Yahoo article
Guess he realized everyone isn't gonna shell out $13 a month to hear him.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I know that on March 6th XM foolishly dropped the audio bitrate over satellite from 49 kbps to 40 kbps which has made the audio quality very mono-ish or sounds like total junk which is not what I got it for. Now if the bitrate is higher for Sirius which makes the quality much better I may sign up with them in June as my XM contract is up then.

I have Sirius with Dish Network and if their music sound quality is the same over satellite I'm there:sweet

Fav channel on XM is Big Tracks
Fav channel on Siri is Octane

Howard Stern Lashes out at fans Yahoo article
Guess he realized everyone isn't gonna shell out $13 a month to hear him.

glad it wasnt just me that noticed the mono-ish crackly sounds on the music channles. I thought my speakers were going bad.
I am a little bit P.O.d about the quality of the music, but i sure do like teh comdey in the morning :D

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had upgraded the speakers in the Excursion just this past February and they really improved the sound of XM with much better highs and bass but with the bitrate drop on March 6th I'm back to square one which is worse than with the stock speakers before the bitrate drop :dunno

I might head to Best Buy/Circuit City today to sample some of the Sirius units in various speaker combinations to see if it's any better-popcorn

I'm currently enjoying the bejeezus out of Sirius on Dish Network:sweet

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i didnt notice a change in music quality in either truck.and ive got 1700 wattsof power in the pickup and 800 in the ramp.:confused:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
94f450sd said:
i didnt notice a change in music quality in either truck.and ive got 1700 wattsof power in the pickup and 800 in the ramp.:confused:
Yo Rich! With 1700 watts juice I'm sure you're not earing the sound but more feeling it than anything:D

How you receiving XM in your truck by a Stereo deck with XM built in or the add-on XM receiver like the Delphi Roady or Skyfi?

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I just began noticing some light background static w/ my XM in the truck and assumed it was the FM modualtor and was planning to get the PIE interface soon. But I now think it is more an XM issue. This is pissing me off as I just got it in December. But Sirius does not have a unit that I'm aware of that I can listen to LIVE on the go for running like my MyFi. I've got Dish w/ the Sirius channels, but NEVER use them.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
well my sirius through dish is freaking awesome through my home/rv stereo.
i really like marguarita ville
the buzzing i hope to cure with the adapter cable PIE, if i hold my hand over the top of the unit it goes away slightly
and also here its becoming increasingly hard to find dead channels to tune in, bham has turned up the wattage and i get their radio stations now to

dpantazis

Reaction score
hmmm

CHPMustang said:
Pricing structure? Fill me in Dennis

CHP-

Seems things have changed since I subscribed. In the 'old' days, it was cheaper to go Sirius if you went multi-car. No it seems they are EXCATLY the same price, with a slight advantage to XM for radio 5 & 10.

They know that subscribes add their friends and family to their plans to sae money. Sirius used to be every add'l radio was $7. NOw it seems that both XM & Sirius get you on intervals.

Either way you can;t go wrong if you spend enough time in the truck for it to warm up.

dp

CHPMustang

Reaction score
From what I been reading at XM411 is all that XM is concerned about is "Quantity over Quality" as all they want is more channels thus sacrificing the sound quality by adding additional channels which in turn greatly reduces the permitted bandwidth(SQ) to each channel:rant

There's only one channel that wasn't effected by the kbps drop and that's "Fine Tuning" CH 76 which I'm not a regular listener of.

We only have one receiver that we subscribe to so both services pricing is the same to us.

dpantazis

Reaction score
hmm

CHP-
I have not been following the differences lately. makes senst though, fixed bandwidth on 2 satellites. wnat more streams, cut back on idividual bandwidth.

another point is availability- xm uses geostationary satellites. sirius used orbiters. meaning what exactly- if you dont leave the lower 48, it won;t matter. if however, you travel north or south of the border, you still get reception with sirius.

Crumm can propably attest how difficult it is to get reception on the spit in Homer, AK. Sirius worked fine there. It also worked great in Venezuala and beyond. DAMHIKT (potential violation of service agreement contract occured)

Canadians have been 'mooching' Sirius before they got their own. They should have gotten it all along if you ask me.

dp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58