Xmas lights on my PSD

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
these aren't the best pics in the world. i took them at home. i didn't have anyone to take them at the parade. sorry for all the blurs.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama you scare me talk about redneck ingeunity....... ummm I was just thinkin like a lited wreath on the brush guard not the hole truck....!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
This my freinds is why states require licenses for electricians:eek:

View attachment 3357

budro, you can't even see it that well to tell what i even did.

it is hooked up just fine for what i was doin.

the ground is on the black, and the red is on the power side.

all the zip ties were just to keep it from moving around.

SO :tounge :tounge :tounge

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
police stroker said:
Bama you scare me talk about redneck ingeunity....... ummm I was just thinkin like a lited wreath on the brush guard not the hole truck....!

gotta go all out, no holds barred.:thumbs

it was only for a parade, come on now, yall get a grip!

Last edited:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
:D hey that wireing looked good to me :roflmao inspectors would actually pass that and not pass doors that wont shut and lock.:dunno
Are you sure the red goes to the red and the black goes to the black? :sly

:roflmao

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
budro, you can't even see it that well to tell what i even did.

it is hooked up just fine for what i was doin.

the ground is on the black, and the red is on the power side.

all the zip ties were just to keep it from moving around.

SO :tounge :tounge :tounge

I understand it was temporary.

Just the same we could have been reading headlines of a redneck in Alabama how died by wiring 120V lights to his truck. Not likely but possible, and then I would have one less person to pick on:(

Your batteries and battery cable until the reach the fuse block are UNFUSED circuits. If something goes wrong there, that equals fire. I would never drive a vehicle that had alligator clips connected to the batteries, especially that large and with that amount of exposed copper.

The Christmas lights are a two wire setup, understandable as that's all you'll find for sale. The problem is that on a two wire setup when there is a fault ( to ground or to the trucks frame by the ungrounded [hot] wire ) then there is a potentially deadly consequence. In a normal ground fault with a three wire circuit the amount energy (amps drawn) is not measurable, this energy travels back through the grounding wire [ground] to the panel and trips the over current protection [breaker]. When you have a two wire system and the fault flows through a person ( metal case tool that shorts, pickup truck with chaffed wiring touching the metal body/frame) then the person becomes the path to ground. Your average person is roughly 26 ohms resistance to ground. A little math and that's four amps. Four amps is not enough to trip the over current protection so the person dies. It only takes one quarter of one amp to stop the heart. So since you don't have the option of a three wire system you should use a GFCI. They sell GFCI pigtails [cords] that you can plug in. A GFCI reads the amperage on the ungrounded wire [hot] and the grounded wire [neutral]. When the amperage coming back from the grounded wire is less than that of the ungrounded wire and getting close to a dangerous level the GFCI trips, within milliseconds.

Like I said it's not likely that anything would have happened, but I would cut off the alligator clips, and installed on of these:
14880TRI.gif

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
budro, i understand and appreciate your concern that you have for me :rolleyes:

thats the way the inverter came, and i know that to use it, they intend on you sitting still and not moving.

i thought about cutting the clips off, but if i did that, then to used it again, then i would have to take of the cables and then bolt them up.

the inverter itself has fuses. the clips would not stay on the normal way, so i drilled a hole into one side of the clips and then bolted them directly.

for 30 minutes of parade time, i couldn't see goin out and spending a whole bunch of money for something i would probably never use again.

so now, can we stop beatin this dead horse? its not like i was runnin a mig welder or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14